How fast is HD 720p video recorded onto the memory card?

PC Hobbyist

I read you can use a class 4 or higher SDHC card to record HD video. I have a new Canon Powershot SD780is, which records HD video at 720p.

I have two questions:

1. How fast is the video recorded onto the card?
2. Will I notice a big difference between a class 4 and a class 6 SDHC card?

BTW - I had a 16gb Transcend SDHC class 6 card (from Amazon). It died after 5 weeks - the pictures simply disappeared and the card is not readable anywhere. I researched the problem online, and found that apparently A LOT of people are having that exact same problem with the 16gb line of Transcend cards. I was really surprised to read how many complaints there were. So, my advice to everyone here is to stay away from Transcend 16gb cards!!! Apparently the 8 gb cards are okay, but I still wouldn't trust them after my experience.

Thanks for any help with my two questions.

Laquer Head

High Definition-----Standard Definition
1,280 x 720---640 x 480---320 x 240
30 fps------------- 30 fps---------30 fps
Movie size (KB/sec.)---2,955---1,316---394
2GB 10 min. 53 sec.---23 min. 49 sec.---1 hr. 13 min. 10 sec.
8GB 43 min. 32 sec.---1 hr. 35 min. 11 sec.---4 hr. 52 min. 24 sec.

Last edited:

PC Hobbyist

High Definition Standard Definition
1,280 x 720 640 x 480 320 x 240
30 fps 30 fps 30 fps
Movie size (KB/sec.)---2,955---1,316---394
2GB 10 min. 53 sec.---23 min. 49 sec.---1 hr. 13 min. 10 sec.
8GB 43 min. 32 sec.---1 hr. 35 min. 11 sec.---4 hr. 52 min. 24 sec.
Wow - thanks! Good info to have!
So, it looks like my camera would record HD 720p at about 3MB/sec (which I guess is why you need at least a class 4 card).

The cost of a Kingston 16gb SDHC class 4 or class 6 is the same online. On ebay, I can get the class 6 for the same price Amazon offers the class 4. So, I guess I'll go with the class 6 Kingston card from ebay.

I've never used Kingston for SD cards (only for RAM), but I suppose they are good quality cards.

Laquer Head

Wow - thanks! Good info to have!
So, it looks like my camera would record HD 720p at about 3MB/sec (which I guess is why you need at least a class 4 card).

The cost of a Kingston 16gb SDHC class 4 or class 6 is the same online. On ebay, I can get the class 6 for the same price Amazon offers the class 4. So, I guess I'll go with the class 6 Kingston card from ebay.

I've never used Kingston for SD cards (only for RAM), but I suppose they are good quality cards.

Yeah.,I swear by Lexar but Kingston is good and also the new SanDisks. Depending where you live, SanDisk had some great sales/rebates on 4,8 and 16's in the last few weeks.

Maybe it was just in Canada?! not sure

PC Hobbyist

I live in Germany. I haven't seen any specials here on SanDisk cards. I guess I'll give the Kingston one a try. I just hope it really is a Kingston card. ;) I was surprised to see the price for Kingston lower than for Transcend cards. Here is the link - if you're curious.
Thanks again for your help!