how good are dell computers

PC eye

banned
For someone who custom builds their own systems they would be considered a low end over priced convenient solution for the less informed to put that bluntly. Dell as well as HP and other prebuilt systems are generally equipped with lower end video cards, less memory(value memory), a limited list of options for hard drives and optical drives as well, and how good their optional service plans are.

Newer Dells and other makes alike now have a little more flexibility when specifying the hardware combinations you want. You will pay more "through the nose" is the expression at times depending on the options you decide on. But all prebuilt systems do have their limitations unfortunately.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I don't know how they compare to some other brands, but many recent dell machines have ditched legacy connections such as a floppy drive connection, IDE, PS2/keyboard, LPT, and COM ports. Most of these are pretty typical, but something like IDE is still rather common for DVD-Burners and what not...

Also, realize many cheaper Dell's(and any other brand computers) typically don't have dedicated graphics slots. They might only have onboard and no real way to upgrade beyond PCI or PCI-Express x1. No AGP, no PCI-Express x16. Though, I've not looked at the specs of more recent Dell machines, so most, if not all of them might have some graphics expansion.

Eh...but in the end, if you want to upgrade later on, it's probably best to just build your computer. Get a good power supply and note what slots/ports/connections you'll probably need :p

PC eye

banned
The specifications on the E521 Dimension model will readily scare anyone who builds their own cases. How about a 305W supply for a start? The one common recommendation seen by board manufacturers is 350W! That's on a new model Dell? No wonder many are starting to complain about video lags and other problems when gaming or running multimedia apps. There isn't an adequate power supply to begin with.

PohTayToez

If I was to grade dell on upgradability it would be like a 3 out of 10 at the highest. Like T_O_O said, most don't have AGP or PCI-E, and even if they did, you'd have a hard time using a high end graphics card as only Dell power supplies fit in Dell computers, unless you want to take a pair of metal snips and chop up the back. I replaced a power supply in a Dell a while back, and it cost like $50 for a 350w power supply, which was the biggest they had for that model. Also, they're usually limited to 2 RAM slots, you'll have to do some case modification if you want a second hard drive, or a CPU cooler. All around, they're not really meant to be upgraded.

bthacker12

i just got one in today, and im sending it right back, the graphics card goes of the ram which make me mad, and windows vista sucks ass, so im going to send it back tomorrow.

djcon

ya Dell... is Dumb... Broken Mobos... Broken Drives... Burnt memory... No Printer port... These are only some of the many problems my parents ran into... THE FIRST DAY THEY GOT THEIR DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big_pete

People are very judge mental but you have to think of this in all aspects,

i my self would not buy a dell (Desktop) But, i would suggest it for a person with limited or not a high understanding of computers as they come with most things pre done, the warrinty server of dell is out standign (in Australia) i my self am a Dell Certified technician and i do alot of work on all models of dells even server work, and from a techs point of view they are some of the best machines to work on compaird to the recent Acer, HP, Compaq Desktops they are quick andn easy to work on, they are prompt with the sending of parts, and rarely send dead ones,

but as i said it all comes down to your own needs if you want a high end machine for gaming dell can get one made for you just ask

PC eye

banned
People are very judge mental but you have to think of this in all aspects,

i my self would not buy a dell (Desktop) But, i would suggest it for a person with limited or not a high understanding of computers as they come with most things pre done, the warrinty server of dell is out standign (in Australia) i my self am a Dell Certified technician and i do alot of work on all models of dells even server work, and from a techs point of view they are some of the best machines to work on compaird to the recent Acer, HP, Compaq Desktops they are quick andn easy to work on, they are prompt with the sending of parts, and rarely send dead ones,

but as i said it all comes down to your own needs if you want a high end machine for gaming dell can get one made for you just ask

Well Welcome to the Computer Forum! Dell tech, http://www.computerforum.com/70672-official-welcome-thread.html Please take a few minutes to review the http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html

Ease of service doesn't always mean a standard of quaility when considering the fact that just about every newer board out requires a 350w supply. Yet they ship new systems out with a 305 watt model? You then pay extra just to meet the minimum power requirements seen by just the average user on a budget? It's also simplified for a Dell tech to service a Dell when you have the Dell replacement parts readily available since those are the only ones that will fit. :rolleyes: The supplies have their own pattern when for mounting. That rules out buying other then Dell supplies there.

PC eye

banned
Well it's just like the AMD Atholon XP3400+ never seen at places like newegg until recently. Those were strictly sold in Compaqs and other prebuilt systems to compete with custom builders just by having a faster stock cpu. When you were able to boost the 3200+ up a little since that model usually saw a locked multiplier surprise as the post screen suddenly read 3400+.

What Dell is doing now for the most part is seeing three different models under the same number. One is a total budget deal with a low end supply and less memory and maybe a low end PCI-E card. The next model will see slightly more with a 350w supply and maybe 1gb over 512. Then the top model with 2gb and a 400w supply. Their ads lately state otherwise however where you are supposed to be able to choose things the way you want it?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Dell's ability to let you upgrade is pathetic! On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it a 2 at the most!

They're rubbish, "Are machines are custom built for what you need" Pfffft!
They over-charge and they aren't even that good. They also often have a strange setup, you find cable tied to the case, the case opens like a book, there's a strange duct from the rear fan to the heatsynk, no fan on the actual CPU.

I'd HATE to own one, if you're going to buy a pre-built one, I think HP (Compaq) are good!

But even better, just build your own!

PC eye

banned
Probably the two top brands are SUN and Sony believe or not. While they've some problems with batteries on the portables they generally keep a high standard on most of their products. But like any other prebuilt they have their limitations as usual. SUN on the other hand is professional not home user type systems that do have workstations and Java of all things.

Martingale00

Yeah I have a Dell at work and I am not too happy with it. It think their quality level has decreased over the past few years. I've had Dells in the past but I wouldn't buy another. You can buy them with pretty much any processor you want, where they always fall short is the video cards and PSU's, that you'll have to buy aftermarket. I have no clue about the quality of RAM they're using. Their new "Ultra sharp" monitors I'm very unimpressed with not only from a visual standpoint but a quality standard too. I'm actually using an old Dell monitor because I think their older ones looked better. One good think though is they have USB ports in the monitor and keyboards...I thought that was kinda cool. If i was going to buy a pre built computer I would buy an HP.

PC eye

banned
I kind of second the notion on HP or Sony long before any Dell setup. The new Dell models out remind me too much of eMachines clunkers. The brand of memory is probably the only thing going for them at this time with the Kingston value ram. I would end up with a 3rd party lcd like Viewsonic or BenQ if not an Acer or LG.

If you want to upgrade a Dell, go high-end. Like the XPS, or a "souped-up" Dimension. I had a low-end, and wouldn't even think about upgrading.

johnny

Well I use a dell at school. I do graphics on 3D Studio Max 8, them machine is pretty good. BUT because the TDSB (Toronto District School Board) uses Windows 2000 Server, all the computers have been downgraded to Windows 2000, so I haven't seen how good they run Windows XP. Our machines are the Optiplex which is Dell's business model. We have 1GB ram, 2 hard drives (180 GB each), DVD-Rom and DVD Burner, floppy drive, onboard video and audio, plus a 3.0 GHz P4 with Hyper Threading enabled. Our audio and video work fine, there really isnt any lag just when we render a 3D model it takes like 5minutes for a 10 second AVI non compressed, 11 minutes if it compresses it and I've seen it goup to 43 minutes. Performance wise I would give them a 8/10. Upgrading however like mentioned the possiblilities are limited.