How Hot Is Hot?

saebl

How Hot Is Hot

hi all.
im quite noobish in hardware probs... should just be workin' and im glad. my question is how hot can an Athlon XP 1900+ palomino get max? i ask that cuz i had some blackscreens... but i think the reason was that i had my CPU host clock select jumper at 100 MHz and not 133 MHz FSB... and in my BIOS i had changed the CPU clock manually to 111 MHz since i had trouble at 133 MHz.
so am i right when i guess that i have to set this jumper to 133 MHz to really use more then 100 MHz CPU clock??
wondering that i could work at all with this wrong set jumper... now i have 133x2x6=1600 MHz
a bit stupid that the board (epox 8k5a-2) has no default jumper for that for such noobs like me ;) i had all the time less performance (maybe 1330 MHz).
now my cpu temp is @ 60° C. ill check if i can run games with no blackscreen probs now. i heard 85° C max for that type of CPU ? is that right? :confused:

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
60c is pretty hot :eek: it should be down lower.

Pentium 4 CPU's wont make that temperature, it will get fried at about 70c or something like that...I read it somewhere, but AMD's can handle that heat before they get fried and become completely useless.

saebl

ok so if its too hot why is that? my cooler isnt bad and i think its doing quite a good job at 2700 RPM. is it possible that i took too little heat conducting paste over the die? or is 2700 RPM not fast enough?

saebl

hmm damn. i still get black screens in games (cpu cooler and all still running but the signal to monitor aborts)... im pretty sure if i set the jumper back and set cpu clock to 100 MHz it will disappear... but hey i got 1900+ and i want that real 1,6 GHz... damn! any1 an idea? dont understand it... i thought if its not too hot so maybe the ram makes trouble cuz i have 2 different sorts of ram... 1st slot samsung 333 MHz 512 MB DDR CL2.5 and 2nd is an infinieon 400 MHz 256 MB DDR CL3.0... but the guy who sold it said it is downwardly compatible... or could it be the power supply unit???

ZER0X

VIP Member
It wouldn't be the RAM, if your CPU'S idling at 60c and if you play a game it might get a really high temperature which will probably black out your screen or just make the game run choppy.