How is my first setup? Everything will work?

lowki

Hey everyone this is my first built my budget its a strict 600.00 on low budget gaming, The stuff i'm going to get are these. I wanted to know will the CPU and motherboard will be fine with my video card? these are what i'm planning to get.

(Prices will varies)

CASE Cooler Master HAF 912 60-80.00

CPU - Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA115 125.00

MOBO - ASROCK (I'M REALLY INTERESTED! in Asrock i love how the way it looks, It comes in 2 colors Black . I can't decide here is the blue one which is ASRock P67 i wanted) There both 125 bucks.

RAM - BLUE GSKILL RIPJAWS 8GBS G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 240-Pin Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 50-60 bucks

GC- RADEON 6870 = 170.99

power supply - FREE 650 corsair 0.00

TOTOAL OF 580.00

So guys please tell me what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Perkomate

Looks like a killer low-budget PC. I'd go a black motherboard, just personal preference. Cool build though.

You REALLY will want a i5, for a true gaming rig.Many games are starting to use quads.I would choose a 7770 and that will save $50, and you have $20 left in your budget, and a i5 is $80 more, so you can cover an i5.Also, a 7770 is a pretty capable card for the price.

spirit

Staff member
I agree with Ninja but the i3 is actually a pretty good little chip for gaming especially considering the price. Don't under-estimate the power of the little i3! ;)

But if you can afford it, an i5 would probably benefit you for the future. Most games still only use two cores, but in the future most will use four, so the extra pair of cores will be handy.

SilentRabbit

An i3 will be more than capable, few games use and take advantage of 4 cores anyways and, correct me if im wrong, but I beleive i3's have hyper threading too.

Keep the build how it is, looks great!

spirit

Staff member
An i3 will be more than capable, few games use and take advantage of 4 cores anyways and, correct me if im wrong, but I beleive i3's have hyper threading too.
Yes the i3s do have HT, but it doesn't make much difference in gaming. An i3 should be fine, but as I said earlier, if you can afford an i5, go for it. :)

claptonman

You REALLY will want a i5, for a true gaming rig.Many games are starting to use quads.I would choose a 7770 and that will save $50, and you have $20 left in your budget, and a i5 is $80 more, so you can cover an i5.Also, a 7770 is a pretty capable card for the price.

i3s are just fine for gamers, and a 6870 is about 29% faster than a 7770 for about $40, so that's up to judgement.

No, I knew this would start an arugment.A 7770 is a %30 difference down from a 6870, and the CPU is a 50% better difference, so it evens out to %20 better, but, a few games now are using quads, and if you know how fast tech proggresses, than many games will be using quads in a couple years

claptonman

Not trying to start an argument either, but games rely on GPU the most. An i3 + 6870 would give better performance than an i5 + 7770. Just my opinion.

Mishkin

No, I knew this would start an arugment.A 7770 is a %30 difference down from a 6870, and the CPU is a 50% better difference, so it evens out to %20 better, but, a few games now are using quads, and if you know how fast tech proggresses, than many games will be using quads in a couple years

This is all sorts of wrong. First off, I would heavily recommend that the OP stay with an i3 and go as high as he can with the video card, rather than DOWNGRADING it, as you suggest. Your % statements are completely irrelevant to this situation, and literally any even half-realistic situation there ever will be. The OP will be GPU bound whether he gets the i3 or i5...his video card will be the determiner of his performance either way. The i5 will offer more futureproofing of course, as games start sliding more and more into quad-core land, but for now the dualie is all he needs, and is perfect for his budget while getting a nice solid video card since that's what matters. He can always upgrade his cpu down the road if he feels the need. Certainly, with your part suggestions, he would be hurting a hell of a lot sooner in the video card department than in the cpu department with his choices.

A CPU is much more important you games than you seem to think.There are a few games that heavily rely on the cpu, were a i5 will be much better.In a game that wven doesnt rely on the cpu very much, I saw a big difference from low to middle to high.High is i5, med is i3, and low is c2d e4300.Also, a 7770 is newer, which means newer drivers, my card hasnt had a driver within the last 2 years.A 7770 is a capable card, espically for the price.

Mishkin

A CPU is much more important you games than you seem to think.There are a few games that heavily rely on the cpu, were a i5 will be much better.In a game that wven doesnt rely on the cpu very much, I saw a big difference from low to middle to high.High is i5, med is i3, and low is c2d e4300.Also, a 7770 is newer, which means newer drivers, my card hasnt had a driver within the last 2 years.A 7770 is a capable card, espically for the price.

I agree that a 7770 is a capable card and is very nice for the cost. However, I still stand by my opinion that an i3 with a better gpu would be the better route than an i5 with a lesser gpu. Performance-wise, currently the i3 setup will simply do better than the i5 setup. And it should last longer as well, before feeling the need to upgrade. Obviously if you want to be set for a gaming rig, an Intel quad-core is the way to go, but with certain budgets the i3 is more than viable, and going that way allows more money to be spent on the video card, which is much more important since it will be the bottleneck.

Perkomate

the I3 is an amazing little chip. I built one for my dad's work with the 2120 and 4gb of RAM, and it zips along. Really stable and quick chip.
If you don't have the money for the I5, then don't bother. The I3 will do just fine.