How ISP throttle P2P connections, more specifically?

SCC

I see. So, is the data stream they're targeting. Thx for ur information. ^^

Anyway, how'bout other questions? If u know any answer to them, plz kindly let me know. ^^

SCC

Hermeslyre, looks like u're not here recently... Hope that u can help answer my questions. =p

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The connection is established 10 per second? Only 10 per second, or connection established in the 1st second can be accumulated to the following seconds?

Can u explain how the TCP/IP connection works? Looks like I dun really know'bout it. =p

So, means once the P2P stream detected by the ISP, the whole stream would be throttled, if that's the ISP's intention?

Btw, the 'auto-detect' means encrypting the connection but allowing connection wif non-encrypted peers. Acccording to the site (http://howto.wired.com/wiredhowtos/...fic_shaping_isps;action=display;category=Play), it stated that it allows non-encrypted clients when only there's no encrypted client. If based on the description, it looks like it's not as effective than u can connect to non-encrypted clients, even when there is encrypted clients as well. I wonder it's right or not. In fact, can u connect to non-encrypted peers if ur ownself is encrypted?

Oh, suddenly came up wif a question. The ISP throttle the connection based on ports or the data stream? Wat can be done to overcome this if throttled? Resetting the P2P connection can do?

The connections can be accumulated, but because of the 10 per second limitation, If you had 50 seeds connected, you could only open a connection to ten once a second. And that's a problem because when connected to so many people, it'll create a bottleneck. If you we're running more than one torrent, it would get even more messier. But then again, it's not absolutely essential to have more than ten, because the connections do accumulate..

Yep.

As for encryption, As far as I know it, if you are using it with azureas, all azureas-client packets will reach you, encrypted or not. There is a possibility that other clients, bitcomet, Utorrent, etc might have a problem with the encryption method. I don't think it's that big a deal however, as most torrent sites, and guides recommend it be turned on,

Overcome throttling? The only way, I think, is to stop P2p transfer. Couple hours, maybe less, maybe much longer. Once they catch you in P2p trafic, they'll probably monitor you for awhile, throttling when necessary. It depends on the level of determinence of the ISP.

Last edited:

SCC

Hey, u replied. How nice of u. ^^

Hmm... Since the number of connection is accumulated, it'll juz take several secs to establish all the connection, isn't it? If so, it shouldn't be a big issue... Like wif total of 10 torrents wif 20 peers each, there's only 200 connection, which juz takes 20 secs to establish all the connection. I guess 20 secs of waiting is not much... Is it 1 peer 1 connection? I dunno whether my concept of understanding is right or not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow. So, once throttled, I guess there's ntg much can be done, right?

Btw, do u know why some peers connected to me are not transferring anything to each other of us? & I can't connect to many or most of the peers even though the number of peers is extensive. Why is it?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Nah, it's not a super-big deal. I haven't looked into it much, I actually think there's more to it. Something about not connecting to a max amount of peers... i dunno. Yeah, 1 peer, 1 connection.

Not much. There's a current debate going on about whether packet shaping, or throttling can be done or not. Certain people have been pressuring the FCC that this concept goes against 4 major guidelines they have set in the internet policy guidelines. The FCC is planning investigations on it..

Bittorrent has a couple weird/effective policies.. I can try to explain it, but it would take up to much space. :D Look here,

http://torrentfreak.com/why-bittorrent-works/

SCC

I see...

Hmm? That TCP/IP tweak has effect on connecting to a max amount of peers? Anyway, I didn't notice much change after I made the tweak. Are u certain that there's more to it?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Absolutely, positively.... No, actually, no I'm not. :D It shouldn't have an effect on the maximum amount of connected peers, I know, I was just throwing that out there cause I'm a noob.

Any more queries?

SCC

Lol. Dun say that. U certainly know more than me.

Not much more. Juz can't find any information related to the number of peers that I can connect to at that link.

Anyway, thx for helping me out. ^^ Btw, mind to tell me where're u from?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I can try to clarify on that, certain Bittorrent clients, Bitcomet for example, give priority to other bitcomet users, meaning that they will connect to you much slower than other clients. There's also need to mention the tic for tac basis, if you don't have a piece of the torrent that another peer needs, he'll never connect to you, and vice versa.

There is also a couple settings I failed to mention, The TCP connection limit? There's also a setting in azureus, they both need to be set to the same number, find this setting under options>connections>advanced network setting. Also for the maximum number of peers has a limit as well, find this under options>transfer. Global connections and per torrent connections. I feign innocence in the entire matter. :D

I'm from Portland, Oregon. It's underneath my screen-name.. ;) You?

No problem, I try to be helpful.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Of course. I try to stay geographically correct. To be honest, I've always wanted to visit the area, along with Singapore, Sumatra, and some of the islands.. Very exotic area, in the eyes of an American. Hope I don't get eaten by a tiger..

Yeah US, west coast. Very drim area, no tigers at all. :D

Remember, you get any more questions, or run into any computer problems, or whatever, you know where to come! Take it easy man!