how long can i oc?

Weasel

this seems like it would be posted before, did a search and nothing came up, sorry if this has been asked before

im doing some extensive upgrade on my comp and im wanting to OC my amd 2500+ to a 3200+ (1.85ghz to 2.2ghz) and i want to do it indefinitly, if i keep my computer below 60 degrees celcius can i OC it indefinitly without any damage? i read somwere that it may take a year or two off the processor but how long does a processor usually last?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Weasel said:
this seems like it would be posted before, did a search and nothing came up, sorry if this has been asked before

im doing some extensive upgrade on my comp and im wanting to OC my amd 2500+ to a 3200+ (1.85ghz to 2.2ghz) and i want to do it indefinitly, if i keep my computer below 60 degrees celcius can i OC it indefinitly without any damage? i read somwere that it may take a year or two off the processor but how long does a processor usually last?

as long as its cooled good it should work for a long time...i've never had a processor die even at 65-70C (although it was for a short period of time). all hardware is different so some CPU's will fry for no reason other will last you 5+ years. i dont think it matters reallly...in 2-3yrs. i will probably have a diff CPU if not an entirely diff computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
CPUs can last plenty fine to 85°+ ... dunno why people fret so much for keeping it cold .... its not like its gonna run faster when its cooler :p by the time it fries, the cpu will have been long obsolete :) (provided you take decent care of the system)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Weasel said:
asleep ;) didnt realize it was 1337, just thought it was random numbers/letters

yah lots of peeps think that too. i got "4 women 4thousand times and 3 is my fav #" fomr one guy lol.