How long does laptop battery last

Vaclav Gregor

Hi
I'm buying a new laptop, and it says in the parameters that it can last 9h in ideal laboratory conditions...does anyone know how can I get some rough estimate on how long it can last when playing a computer game for example, since "laboratory conditions" doesn't really tell me much about how long it will last when used.

_Pete_

Neither will anything that anyone tells you on here either. It depends on so many things. How bright your screen is and how loud your audio is for two examples. Battery life is much better now than it used to be but for a gaming laptop I would think battery life would be very limited, in the couple of hours bracket at most. Far better in my opinion to buy a gaming desktop if you are an avid gamer or better still a gaming console.

beers

Staff member
Which specific one are you looking at?

'Lab conditions' are generally idle, lowest screen brightness, power saving modes that downclock the components, minimal disk/network/cpu activity etc.

Depends a lot on the specific hardware and specific game. Something like League of Legends requires substantially less computational power than other games like PUBG.

Laquer Head

Depends entirely on the laptop in question.. some gaming laptops last less than 2 hours with all settings

Agent Smith

There's always the miniature cold fusion reactor option. Or just contact NASA and buy yourself a radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

You could always buy more batteries. But that's a pain because depending on the game it may not be practical. Like if you are in a FPS. But if you're playing a single player game you could always save, power down and replace the battery. If you need a laptop and want to game on it, it's just best to plug it in. Consider the batter life only for moderate Internet and office orientated usage. Like composing a letter, reading E-mail and creating power point presentations, etc. With gaming you are severally taxing the resources and the battery will drain much quicker.