How many GBs or RAM supports these Motherboards?

martinius96

Hello there, I have installed Windows 10 fresh installation for friend on his desktop computer and laptop.
Both were running Win XP SP2 x86 so they were unusable for internet or etc... Just unsupported on many webpages.
As both machines are weaker in terms of CPU and RAM, I have used 32-bit version of Windows 10.
RAMs actually used on machines are basically the minimum on 32-bit Windows 10, so it is not running that "smoothly" as Win XP... I would like to upgrade it to the maximum possible RAM, although I think the limit will be the motherboard rather than 32-bit Windows (4GB max). Both machines have 2 RAM slots. I can't find the maximum amount of RAM I informations that I found are different on each source. Please, help me solve that out. I am attaching the HW configuration from CPU-Z.

Laptop HP Presario C700:
  • CPU: Pentium T2310 (Dual-core 1,46 GHz)
  • CPU socket: P 478
  • RAM type: SODIMM-DDR2
  • Actual RAM used: 2GB (2x 1 GB)
  • MB: Hewlett-Packard 30D9
  • Chipset: Intel GL960 Rev. C0
  • Southbridge: Intel 8280 1HBM (ICH8-ME) Rev. B1
  • GPU: Intel 965 Express Chipset
  • BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.31 - 02/29/2008

Desktop PC:
  • CPU: Pentium E2160 (Dual-core 1,80 GHz)
  • CPU socket: 775 LGA
  • RAM type: DIMM-DDR2
  • Actual RAM used: 1GB (1x 1 GB)
  • MB: Foxconn 45GM/45CM/45CM-S
  • Chipset: Intel i945G Rev. A2
  • Southbridge: Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) Rev. A1
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
  • BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00 PG - 07/28/2007

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
According to Crucial.com your laptop is already maxed out.
Your desktop supports a max of 2GB of RAM (2x1GB).

Honestly in this day and age you should just junk them and buy a newer computer. Even a $300 computer will be better than those two.

martinius96

It's for older man that is using it maximally for reading news once per day.
Nothing more...

I have seen on internet there is possible to use 3GB RAM (but not officially supported from datasheets).
Maybe I will try it.

And about desktop computer, it looks like 2x2GB RAM is max supported...

beers

Staff member
You could probably 2x2GB that laptop, it's at least socket P. I could throw 4GB in my old C2D Socket M laptop that was a predecessor to socket P although the chipset was limited to 32 bits of memory addressing.

It might just be worth getting some other second hand notebook though, you can find some for $20-40 that are significantly faster and would be about what you'd spend on upgrades anyway. Same goes for those ancient LGA 775 parts.