How Many Seconds Does It Take For Your Computer Boot Up?

2048Megabytes

I doubt Bones who stated 17 seconds followed my instructions on when to start his timer during a cold boot.

I just did another old laptop. Approximately a 62 second boot up time for a Toshiba Satellite 1800. Specifications are as follows:

Celeron 1 gigahertz processor
256 megabytes of PC-100 RAM

After the log in screen it takes about two more minutes before the computer is ready to respond though.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
About 26 seconds here.

When I had my old IDE hard drive it was closer to 90+ seconds. Used to take FOREVER!

My media center pc is 32 seconds.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You guys have to reboot your computers? Oh wait, you guys use Windows, LOL LOL LOL LOL

jest kidding guys!

tlarkin

VIP Member
What is your cold boot time with your Macintosh TLarkin?

From power off to log in screen? Dunno let me time it.

Powered machine off, let it sit for over 5 minutes, powered on and started stop watch on my iPhone. Took approximately 43 seconds from power on to log in screen. This is my Macbook Pro, which well, is my work machine and is used hardcore. I will have to time my G5 at home which I barely use and is probably more optimal.

I will time my vista desktop too. If I reboot it takes like 14 to 20 seconds to hit the log in screen again.

Also on a side note I have not rebooted this thing in probably 6 months if not longer.

350870780_bc8a3822bd.jpg

419497511_8d19f047d2.jpg

This also depends on what you guys considered to be booted....

I don't reboot my systems unless they need it and typically when they start to run slow I reboot them.

gamerman4

about 3 seconds after I touch my power button (ExpressGate OS FTW)
I normally don't turn off Windows 7 unless I have a good reason, sleep works great on my system.

Just testing cold boot, got 27 seconds to login screen. Logs me in to desktop in about 1.5 seconds.

Last edited:

G25r8cer

XP Pro Performance Ed

34Seconds Using BootTimer

Vista Ultimate

Too Long - 64Seconds

This is why I use Xp more often now

It takes my computer from time I press the power button till everything is fully loaded on the desktop 1 minute 6 secs . I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

theasian100

from press button to the time I can ACTUALLY start using my computer (like using firefox and such)

3 minutes. So sad...

gamerman4

what do you guys consider to be booted?

I hit the button on my timer as I hit the power button, stopped it on the login screen. 27 seconds. Logs in in about 1.5 seconds. It is usable the moment it logs in (woo Win7). I consider usable to be booted.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I hit the button on my timer as I hit the power button, stopped it on the login screen. 27 seconds. Logs in in about 1.5 seconds. It is usable the moment it logs in (woo Win7). I consider usable to be booted.

Are all your system processes up and fully running at that point, or just able to log in, or just to the log in screen?

gamerman4

Are all your system processes up and fully running at that point, or just able to log in, or just to the log in screen?

Unlike most people, I don't have 100 things startup when I login so as soon as I log into my user, I can immediately open firefox (or whatever else) with no delay.

tlarkin

VIP Member
He said Usable!!! What more info do you need?

Read up on how OSes work, then you will understand. Kernel starts first, then core services, then system services, then user services. Typically you can log right in but a lot of times, depending on your set up you can't do anything for a few minutes.

gamerman4

Read up on how OSes work, then you will understand. Kernel starts first, then core services, then system services, then user services. Typically you can log right in but a lot of times, depending on your set up you can't do anything for a few minutes.

I have noticed my boot times are faster now I have 4GB of RAM (an upgrade from DDR2-800 to 1066 as well), and with my new motherboard having 2 extra USB slots, I've even got a 1GB usb stick for readyboost. Nice and peppy now. Boot times really don't mean much tho since a single driver or program installation can cripple your boot time if it requires kernel-mode drivers or just adds a lot of services (Norton is famous for this).

Last edited:

G25r8cer

Unlike most people, I don't have 100 things startup when I login so as soon as I log into my user, I can immediately open firefox (or whatever else) with no delay.

Me too I only have the necessary things on startup. At idle I only have 25 processes running on xp and on vista well thats 40 processes.