How many watt PSU will I need?

Dysplasia

Alright, so I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers, and I'm not sure how big of a PSU I'm going to need.

Here are the specs of the computer I'm going to buy.

RAM: 4GB (2x2)

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83Ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

Hard drive: 500GB

GCard: ATI 4850 (Realized how unnecessary dual 4650's were)

I was thinking either 750 watts or 900, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

teamhex

You may be fine with a 750watter, but Id say at least a 900watter if your going to run 2 G cards. Id just got with one 4870 if I were you, but Its your rig and money

Ethan3.14159

Geez, everyone recommends overkill for the power supply. You'll be fine with a good 500watt from Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, Thermaltake, or Silverstone. If you want one that you could go crossfire with get a decent 600watt from the aforementioned brands.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
The Corsair 520watt one would power it just fine. If you want some headroom, the 620 watt one would be MORE than enough.

blakeblogger

Get an Antec power supply. I rate them at the top. When they say 500 watts, you can be sure it runs 500 watts. An Antec may cost you a little more, but its worth it. I have a 550 watt Antec EarthWatts powersupply.

Everything you have will be fine with a 500-550 watt power supply. However, I regret my 550, and wish I would have gotten a 650. Reason? I want to add more hard drives, a blu-ray drive, and a 5 in 1 card reader. You can add a few devices with a 550, but you're cutting it close. If you know you'll never add anything, though, go with a 500-550.

Scubie67

While we are on that ,The Rosewill are hit and miss also :p

edit* the Corsair 750 that I gave newegg link to is currently on sale and with rebate at $90 which is almost or even cheaper in some cases than lesser corsair PS's .It should last you several VGA upgrades and allows good headroom for dual cards as well as the current trend of ever increasing power hungry VGA's

Last edited:

smoothjk

People always recommend overkill for PSUs on this forum. I'd say a 550W is a safe bet. if you decide to do Crossfire later on, a good 700W+ unit should do.

Mitch?

banned
I still say the rosewill. i've used them in all three of my builds, and about six or seven for friends. the longest build was about five years ago, and it's still running. they're very good for the price, and their rma period lasts awhile. i accidentally broke one, not in a computer, when i was setting up a lighting system (+12v) , and they sent a free replacement, even after i said i was messing with lights.

Mitch?

banned
You Choose Rosewill over Antec, because they are good or of their warranty?

They are, in my experience (and from what i hear pretty much most peoples') reliable and the warranty/tech support/customer service is amazing (newegg also provides the services but, still). they're also considerably cheaper for a similar performing Antec, or what have you.

Example-
Rosewill RX630-S-B = 630w, quad +12v=80a, 80 plus certified, 79.99
Antec BP550 Plus = 550w, tri +12v=69a, not 80 plus cert., 89.99

the rosewills also have adjustable fan speeds ; silence, performance, auto.