How much better is Ryzen? Really?

The VCR King

I was looking at the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 lineup and noticed that the majority of them were 4, 6, or 8 core, but most were either 3.4 or 3.7 gHz. And most cost $300 or more.

Hell, my 7-year-old 1090T is 3.5 stock and is overclocked to 3.8!

So, why is the Ryzen lineup priced like Intel's crap and with lower clock speeds than processors they made awhile ago?!

Laquer Head

I'll let an AMD guy answer better, but they priced these pretty well and the Ryzen 7 line are 8core/16Thread .. the closest Intel chip to that is nowhere close to AMD pricing.

Clock speed is only 1 factor with CPU. The new Ryzen would decimate your 7 year old 1090T

beers

Staff member
If you want a quick comparison run the CPU-Z benchmark. Ryzen 8 core pumps out 20k in multithread at ~3.9ish.

IIRC Phenom II X6 is somewhere around 4k at 3.8 GHz.

So, why is the Ryzen lineup priced like Intel's crap and with lower clock speeds than processors they made awhile ago?!

I feel like we've tried to tell you this before with your 6950. Clock speed is not the only factor of performance.

Last edited:

Calin

The Ryzen 7s are pretty similar to the 6850k and 6900k i7s in terms of performance, being right between them while the 6C/12T Ryzen 5s are between the 7700k and 6800k in terms of multi core performance but the 7700k beats all Ryzen CPUs in programs that use 4 cores or less.

Darren

Staff member
Well CPU-Z apparently rescaled their benchmark down by a factor of 4 since so many R7's were maxing out the bar. :p

Jiniix

With the CPU-Z bench, my i7-2600K at 4.4GHz gets roughly 1850 single core, while my Ryzen at 4.1GHz gets 2250. And my i7 will beat the crap out of your Phenom :D MOAR GHZ plz

Last edited:

Harley Ben

Ryzen is more powerful performance wise, it can only be compared to i7 7700k or likewise. 16threads and Octacore processors, I bet them are pricey

Jiniix

I would argue it's almost the opposite of, specifically, the i7-7700K. The i7 is a high-GHz low-core count CPU, while the Ryzen is a low-GHz high-core count number cruncher.

Geoff

VIP Member
I was looking at the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 lineup and noticed that the majority of them were 4, 6, or 8 core, but most were either 3.4 or 3.7 gHz. And most cost $300 or more.

Hell, my 7-year-old 1090T is 3.5 stock and is overclocked to 3.8!

Why do you think clock speed is all that matters? Do you remember that despite AMD having 4-5GHz clock speeds, they were being outperformed by Intel at 3GHz?

Virssagòn

VIP Member
The new Ryzen chips offer impressive performance all-around, but especially in applications taking advantage of multiple threads, for the price category they're sold in. All Ryzen chips currently available, are well beyond the performance I predicted.
While they still envy the concept of more cores, they got the single thread performance working as well.

Jiniix

Then what model do you think is an ideal competition?
The closest competition in terms of core count and use-case would be the i7-6900K.
Intel doesn't really have a mainstream or prosumer CPU at the same pricepoint, so it's hard to compare that.
I'm not saying it's daft to compare the 1800X with the 7700K though, actually quite interesting in my opinion. But that's because they are quite the opposites, yet mostly attract the same buyer.

Darren

Staff member
The entire CPU market is going to change now so kind of hard to draw direct comparisons at the moment.

Harley Ben

The closest competition in terms of core count and use-case would be the i7-6900K.
Intel doesn't really have a mainstream or prosumer CPU at the same pricepoint, so it's hard to compare that.
I'm not saying it's daft to compare the 1800X with the 7700K though, actually quite interesting in my opinion. But that's because they are quite the opposites, yet mostly attract the same buyer.

Yup. Interesting.