How much does it cost to power my computer?

eliot94

I have

600 watt psu
8800gts 512mb
[email protected]
500gb hard disk
7.1 sound card
pci tv tuner
1 cd drive
4gb ram
about 5 usb sockets are used to power mouse, keyboard, printer, router and graphics tablet:cool:

I was wondering how much this would cost for say a month to power for around 12 hours a day.

Does how many USB things you have plugged in effect the amount of power used? Or even the likes of A sound card or other pci devices?:confused:

bcoffee20

i think it matters where you live because say if you live by a powerplant its going to be cheaper than if you were in the middle of the dessert.

TFT

VIP Member
It depends what you are charged per kilowatt hour. Uk prices vary from 8 pence to 13 pence so let's work it out for 10 pence.

Your 600w PSU powers everything but in addition there will be mains voltage adaptors to power printers, monitor etc.

If we say 600 watts plus a bit = 720 watts for 12 hours a day then it will equal 8.64 kW. That amounts to 86 pence per day for 30 days = £25.80 per month.

This is assuming your PSU is working at near to full load, obviously in standby it would be a lot less.

Sound card, PCI devices and USB will put more use on the PSU obviously nearing it's capacity. This is only a rough estimate.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
But there's absolutely no way that computer draws 600 watts of power. It draws maybe...350-400 watts at absolute maximum during a torture test (which is about 500 watt AC assuming that the power supply is running at 80% efficiency.

TFT

VIP Member
But there's absolutely no way that computer draws 600 watts of power. It draws maybe...350-400 watts at absolute maximum during a torture test (which is about 500 watt AC assuming that the power supply is running at 80% efficiency.

Ok !! I think your'e splitting hairs.
I don't know his setup and neither do you. How do you know he has a 80% efficient PSU, the cost is based on arbitary figures and if the PSU is not 80% efficient. Let's say 65% efficient if it is a cheapo then the 600 watt PSU could theoretically draw 810 watts from the mains (or 3.4 amps), the figures are stated as a rough estimate and the calculations for cost are correct.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hey man didn't mean to offend you, it's just that so many people over estimate their actual power use. And his set up was in the post :).

TFT

VIP Member
No probs :) but we don't know if it's a good or bad efficiency PSU. I gave a rough estimation for a middlin efficiency one. ;)

eliot94

thanks for all your help guys, the estimation doesn't have to be precise and it has given me a good idea, thanks TFT and i understand what your getting at-diduknowthat (thanks)