How Much Is It Worth?

NCIS330

I have a Dell computer that is messed up. When it boots up it says that its missing a file before it gets to the blue screen. I also have the monitor which is a CRT, I think thats what you call them big things. I have the keyboard and mouse and some of the software that came with it and I want to sell it. I need to know how much its worth. It also has a cd burner that came with the computer and a old fashion floppy disk. I want to sell it all as a package if possible but if people only want certain parts, thats good also.

Thanks in advanced.

Geoff

VIP Member
We need to know detailed information on the desktop to even give you an estimate.

Some good things to tell us would be the speed and type of processor, speed and capacity of your memory, size of hard drive, video card, ect.

Geoff

VIP Member
Since it's a Dell, there should be a model number written someone on the side or top of the desktop. You can enter the model number into Google and see what it comes up with for specs.

Motoxrdude

To find out your processor and ram, right click on "my computer" and click properties. And for your hard drive, click on my computer, find your C drive, right click it and click properties.

NCIS330

[-0MEGA-];383591 said:
Since it's a Dell, there should be a model number written someone on the side or top of the desktop. You can enter the model number into Google and see what it comes up with for specs.

Yeah I started this thread back up for a different reason. I'm not sure what the model number written on it is but I know its a 4550 and I opened the tower up and I know it have a nvida graphics card but thats all I know. I'm wondering how I can figure out what the specs of it are so I can upgrade it. Also I have to reinstall a OS because when you turn it on it says file is missing and I need to reinstall it but I have no idea what the file is.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I'm almost positively sure its a RAM problem. try taking out a stick if u have 2, or but a cheap 16MB and see if thats the problem. Get memtest86 to scan the mem for errors

I'm almost positively sure its a RAM problem. try taking out a stick if u have 2, or but a cheap 16MB and see if thats the problem. Get memtest86 to scan the mem for errors

He just needs to reinstall Windows and go from there, I would suggest using this, just download the file, put in a clean floppy disk and execute the file. After this completes, which may take quite a while, reinstall Windows and try it then.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

NCIS330

I think Dell is going to ship me the installation CDs that came with the system. I'm not sure if it matters but I have the product list that has all the info that was put into the system if yall need that to help me out.

Last edited:
run Darik's Boot and Nuke(DBAN)(above^) and then wait on the install CD's, of course you will have to make the floppy disk on your other PC.

NCIS330

PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.53, 512K, 533, SOCKET N, C1
CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4550, AUDIO/NIC, EPPID
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 333M, 32X64, 8K, 184
DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, LITEON, CHASSIS 2001, V4
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, NV17, FULL HEIGHT, COST REDUCED, DIMENSION
HARD DRIVE, 60GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 1N, 7.2K, WD-XL40

Then there are other stuff about keyboard and stuff but thats the main stuff I think.

Last edited:

NCIS330

Well i'm going to fix it and then upgrade the hell out of it and use it as my personal computer since my laptop sucks. Going to upgrade the ram to at least 1GB and then upgrade the graphics card, which I know nothing about, and then get an external hard drive and a new LCD monitor.

Last edited:
Well i'm going to fix it and then upgrade the hell out of it and use it as my personal computer since my laptop sucks. Going to upgrade the ram to at least 1GB and then upgrade the graphics card, which I know nothing about, and then get an external hard drive and a new LCD monitor.

That processor might be a bottleneck, it might be a good 'fixer-upper' though.

Just run the DBAN, which will totally erase the hard drive, and then reinstall Windows.