Staff member
Simple enough.

On a monthly average:

• How much do you use?
  • Which carrier/provider?
  • 3G/4G HSPA+/4G LTE?
  • Plan + Monthly Rate?
  • Make/Model of device(s)?

I ask out of curiosity and I'm trying to figure out why my usage is so high. If you don't mind providing some details on how you use your data (video, web browsing, downloading/uploading media, etc etc), that would help too.

How much do you use?

Lately, around 2GB+. At first I thought that was normal, but I'm beginning to suspect that my phone isn't connecting to my home network. A couple weeks ago I started paying attention and noticed that I'm often using 3G when I should be in wifi.

Which carrier/provider?

AT&T

3G/4G HSPA+/4G LTE?

3G

Plan + Monthly Rate

2GB/$25 per month

Make/Model of device(s)

16gb iPhone 3GS

When I KNOW i'm using 3G and not connected to a wifi network, I try to limit my usage to simple web browsing. I'll use google maps when needed, but I rarely download music, watch youtube or other videos, or anything that typically would use a lot of data.

Please use the poll obv.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
481 mb last month - usually just facebook and browsing the forum while at work.
Sprint
3g/4g
450 mins/69.99 +$10 premium fee for 4g
HTC evo 4g

Sprint allows unlimited data.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Sprint allows unlimited data.

That's soooo awesome. I was grandfathered in w/ unlimited data but lost that due to some upgrade debacle my wife involved herself in when she bought her 3g. It's a long story, ATT was of no help, and I still don't understand exactly what happened. :mad:

In order for me to upgrade, I have to use her upgrade and it's just a mess at this point.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I usually use about 1GB+ a month.
AT&T
3G/4G
Unlimited $30/month
HTC Inspire 4G

A lot of my data usage is Facebook/email. Occasional web. When I'm on the road I'll use EasyTether to tether to my laptop. I never use WiFi at school/home/work because I don't need to worry about going over.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
3G was just released in India, I would say, about 7 months back, so it very expensive as of now. Like $20 for 1Gb of Data. Which with Indian voice standards is too much.

I had a blackberry unlimited data plan, for $12 a month, and generally it is $8 a month but for post paid it is $12. Plus voice is $6 a month unlimited local and inter state and inter city calls and messages, and ISD is charged according to country.
My blackberry plan is not 3G it is an EDGE plan, 3G Blackberry plans N/A as of now. :(
I use around 200mb, mostly email attachments and forum and youtube and occasional music download.

PS What is grandfathered in? - Is it like taking a plan when it was available and now it is not but they cannot change your existing plan?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
PS What is grandfathered in? - Is it like taking a plan when it was available and now it is not but they cannot change your existing plan?

Pretty much. With ATT, the first couple years of carrying the iPhone, they offered an unlimited plan. Anyone that took that plan was allowed to keep it when they removed that option.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So, you were "grandfathered" in because you had that package before they removed it, right?

Correct. My father had a blackberry before his iPhone 4 and had that data plan. Once I started using web with my smartphone he got me the same plan. My mother just got an iPhone in July and has the 2GB plan and doesn't even use it all.

I had a blackberry unlimited data plan, for $12 a month, and generally it is $8 a month but for post paid it is $12. Plus voice is $6 a month unlimited local and inter state and inter city calls and messages, and ISD is charged according to country.
My blackberry plan is not 3G it is an EDGE plan, 3G Blackberry plans N/A as of now. :(
I use around 200mb, mostly email attachments and forum and youtube and occasional music download.

Wow. That's a cheap plan!

tremmor

i haven't used mine either. Motorola atrix 4g android. had for 6 weeks now. went to the store and called my wife. what did you tell me to get. its to complicated but will play with it. oh well. will be nice if i have car engine trouble. ive had this cell number for over two years and don't even know what the cell number is. thats me.

strollin

Verizon
3G
$60/month unlimited
Motorola Droid X

I even use 3G when I'm at home because my VZW 3G is faster than the connection I have via my ISP.

speedyink

VIP Member
I use about 200-300mb
Bell
HSPA+
Basic 500mb of data that comes with the $50 plan. I really don't need any more.
Xperia Play

I pay for home internet so I use that, not to mention I have lame cell service at my house. When I am out I don't usually spend it on the phone, unless I'm bored waiting for something. That and I don't use Facebook or the like.. There's been months where I used 80mb of my data, lol. Basically all I use data for is app downloads/updates, and some light browsing.

Last edited:

paulcheung

Don't have no idea how much I will use a month, I would beleive is good amount, but because is unlimited plan so it doesn't matter.

Digicel Jamaica.

Blackberry Edge, painfully slow but does what I wanted.

US$23.53 per month prepaid.

Balckberry Torch 9800 use for FXCM trading. streaming data all the time.

Cheers.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Sprint
Samsung Epic android 2.2 4G
a little over 1 GB per month on a unlimited plan
$149.99 a month for my family plan
primary data use is Slacker Radio and google+

Use to love sprint when I was in Seatle but now that I am in Albuquerque I greatly hate sprint, no 4G and the 3G is spotty at best. Looking at going back to At&t since I don't use over 2 GB anyway and getting the new Samsung Galaxy S 2.

skidude

150-200MB per month
Verizon
3G
Unlimited data for $30 per month
Motorola Droid 2

I rarely use my phone for internet browsing, I'm typically always near a computer when I need to look something up online. I can't imagine using 1GB+ on my phone. Plus the 3G coverage is spotty and often slow where I live.