How much ram can I get?

gnargnar

Hi I have an Acer 5672WLMI laptop that I love, but it's definitely time for more ram if possible. It's currently running the stock 2gigs but I'd like to go to 4. As a general post for anyone looking, how do you find out how much ram your computer can even use? I've heard my laptop can't use more than 2 gigs and I've heard it can, so I don't know.
Any help appreciated. Thanks

ScOuT

VIP Member

ScOuT

VIP Member
If 2gb is the max, what do I have to replace to get more ram capability?

Unfortunately there is nothing you can replace to increase your RAM if you already have 2GB. The limiting factor is the motherboard and BIOS for that model of notebook.

Most notebooks have custom made motherboards with a custom made BIOS file. The company will only release one BIOS file because there really is not a reason for another.

My recommendation is to NOT buy the 4GB of RAM right now for a couple reasons:

1. 2GB of RAM is just fine and will complete 99% of all tasks that you could possibly do with that notebook anyway. I have 2GB in my notebook and I edit photos and game with it...smooth as silk;)

2. If you really want to upgrade...find a friend who has 4GB in their notebook. Slap that RAM in your notebook and fire it up. If it starts, do some stuff with it (open a few word documents, look at some pictures, ect...) If it runs fine, then buy the upgrade;)

I found out the memory type is- PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs and they make 4gig sets for that type of memory

Other notebook manufacturers may be able to run 4GB of that RAM in their notebooks.

Your notebook takes PC2 4200 or PC2 5300 according to the spec sheet StrangleHold found.

Monolith1200

im going out on a limb here but you may be able to bios flash your laptop. Ive never done it to a laptop and its never a fun process but for desktops its always yielded great success to keep a machine from the trash can.

gnargnar

So if it says for Ram/Max ram-
"1GB or 2GB / 2GB
DDR2 533/667MHz soDIMM"

does that mean 2GB total or does it mean I can run 2GB max in each slot?
Thank you very much for that page btw, I had never found it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
So if it says for Ram/Max ram-
"1GB or 2GB / 2GB
DDR2 533/667MHz soDIMM"

does that mean 2GB total or does it mean I can run 2GB max in each slot?
Thank you very much for that page btw, I had never found it.

I would think that its 2gbs. max. Since it says max. after the /

That leads me to think that it means the max. is 2gbs of DDR2 667