How much to charge

Lanther

My friend's grandmother had a local computer shop mess her over a bit. First they told her that her machine could run Vista which it couldn't then they took Vista off and put on a version of Windows XP that wasn't authentic. It kept popping up the piracy error at bootup and running windows in a lesser state. Anyway she bought a new copy of XP and was going to get GeekSquad to install it for her but they wanted $200-400 depending on what they had to do. So I took the computer for her formatted it installed her copy of XP, installed OpenOffice, and AVG. How much should I charge or would you charge for this?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I dont know. Unless you need the money I would just say, here you go and Merry Christmas, but you do take tips:D

Motorcharge

I swear to god I need to setup a shop next to Best Buy and just charge half of what Geek Squad charges. Thats absurd, she could have gotten a new laptop for that.

Lanther

Probly go with Strangleholds idea. Poor lady already had that first computer shop charge her to much not to fix it. She did turn them in to the better business bureau though.:D As far as Geek Squad goes I thought of doing the same thing UK80. At 1/4 of their rate you could make a decent living.

Laquer Head

your gonna charge your friends grandmother money?

That's not very cool man!..at any time, but especially after this b.s. shes been subjected to, and at xmas time!

FREE man...don't charge a cent!

Geoff

VIP Member
Either full price or not at all, even if you say you'll charge her half what you normally would she still sees it as being charged by her grandsons friend.

Lanther

I use to not charge anyone money Laquer but then everyone's grandmother uncle etc started coming out of the woodwork.

Compequip

Charge what you think your worth. How good of a friend is it? Tips is an excellent way of putting it especially at Christmas time. Do what you feel is right in your heart and that you can live with. Also if you charge they might think your responsible for that computer for the rest of your life hehe. You installed XP now the computer doesn't start (5 years later) or can you come over, my programs aren't working, I can't sign onto the internet. Thank you young boy hehe..... Becareful charging TIPS TIPS TIPS.....:good::D

Twist86

How much should I charge or would you charge for this?

Personal opinion friends and especially elders I hardly ever charge. If I don't want to sell it then I never mention I have it.

The worst damage I charge my grandparents for after hours of work on their house was lunch and a day of fishing with my grandpa :p.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would make up a bill and take it to the shop that ripped her off in the first place. Tell them they installed a non genuine OS and had to fix there screw up. And that you'll report them to the better business bureau. That will get them to pay you.

bomberboysk

I would make up a bill and take it to the shop that ripped her off in the first place. Tell them they installed a non genuine OS and had to fix there screw up. And that you'll report them to the better business bureau. That will get them to pay you.
Better yet, report them to microsoft.

Personal opinion friends and especially elders I hardly ever charge. If I don't want to sell it then I never mention I have it.

The worst damage I charge my grandparents for after hours of work on their house was lunch and a day of fishing with my grandpa :p.
Same, i dont charge friends/family either.

Laquer Head

I use to not charge anyone money Laquer but then everyone's grandmother uncle etc started coming out of the woodwork.

Sorry man, didn't mean to seem rude but honestly, all you did was install an O/S, that she bought, and put on 2 free downloaded programs!!

I mean, what should you really charge for an elderly lady, who is a friends grandmother!??

Do what you feel is right, but this one, if it were me, would be a freebie!!:)

techee1

Tell her what you would normally charge, if you want to do this as a part time business. Since it's Christmas, and she's your friend's grandma, tell her to spread the word about your service to her friends. Would some home-made Christmas cookies, a hug, and free advertising do it? Your friend may work on cars, or return the favor another way. I helped an elderly couple change a tire in sub-zero temperatures, and 2 weeks later, my dad told me some nice guy had done the same for my mom and dad. No better payback could be possible!

Geoff

VIP Member
Actually, thinking about it again I would be tempted to charge her, but keep it pretty cheap. If it was your own grandmother I wouldn't charger her, but where does the line stop? Pretty soon all your friends relatives will be asking for favors, and I don't know about you but my time is valuable.

Respital

I'd go with this idea along with threatening to report them to microsoft if they don't want to.

Better yet, report them to microsoft.

Same, i dont charge friends/family either.

Tell her what you would normally charge, if you want to do this as a part time business. Since it's Christmas, and she's your friend's grandma, tell her to spread the word about your service to her friends. Would some home-made Christmas cookies, a hug, and free advertising do it? Your friend may work on cars, or return the favor another way. I helped an elderly couple change a tire in sub-zero temperatures, and 2 weeks later, my dad told me some nice guy had done the same for my mom and dad. No better payback could be possible!

+1

Giving a gift can be the greatest gift you can give yourself, and karma works in strange ways it's best to just follow your heart. Also you can't beat a grandma's cookies your stomach will thank you later. ;)

[-0MEGA-];1383505 said:
Actually, thinking about it again I would be tempted to charge her, but keep it pretty cheap. If it was your own grandmother I wouldn't charger her, but where does the line stop? Pretty soon all your friends relatives will be asking for favors, and I don't know about you but my time is valuable.

Your opinion makes sense but I'd go with techee1's idea and just charge anyone that comes to you from her, make sure she isn't advertising that it's free.

Compequip

Hey I guess were all a bunch of softies (HAHA no pun intended). Don't tell us you charged her, even if you do.... Take a poll

Should I charge a friends sweet grandmother and be an @$$

or

Be all that I can be (did I infringe on the ARMY theme?) and not charge

Hehe this is a joke of course don't take this serious. I'm just having fun now, at your expense...

Merry Christmas YALL