How much to fix a flickering HP monitor?

OddBall

I have an HP laptop I purchased about 2 years ago. Now the monitor is flickering on and off. I'm not sure if I should buy a new computer or have this one repaired. Anyone know approximately how much it will cost (parts and labor) to fix it? I think it will be too complicated to do myself.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
All you need to do is remove the bezel, unscrew the LCD from the hinges, unplug the connections from the LCD, and plug the model number in Amazon/eBay and buy a replacement. Shouldn't be more than $50

Espozo

If the monitor were flickering on and off, wouldn't that indicate that there's something wrong with the power? Could you check to see if the wire is connected into the motherboard properly, or would this just be a waste of time? (I imagine it would be much more likely that the wire going to the monitor is frayed.)

_Pete_

The problem with doing anything like this the fact that you, or anyone else for that matter, do not know why the monitor is flickering with doing a whole load of diagnostics. It's all very well saying that a screen will only cost $50 on Ebay etc, which is quite true, but that $50 is wasted if the flickering is caused by the back light or the internal gubbins that runs the screen or the back light. I would think that to give that laptop to someone to actually diagnose that problem could work out a dang site more expensive than $50.

_Pete_

The backlight is built into the LCD so if that's the issue, replacing the screen will fix that :rolleyes:

Your just splitting hairs really. There lots of things that can cause a flickering screen and buying anything on the off chance is sure fire way of wasting money. But us bickering is not going to help the OP so I'm out of here. :rolleyes:

ANNR

isn't there a strip of board like the transformer for the lcd screen? It could be faulty. Anyone know what I am talking about?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
isn't there a strip of board like the transformer for the lcd screen? It could be faulty. Anyone know what I am talking about?
You're referring to the inverter, which pretty much went away when laptops started using LED backlit screens exclusively.