How old were you when you built your first pc?

At what age did you build your first PC?

• Total voters

bomberboysk

Well, lets see how long some of our members have been building their pc's. Post the specs(if you can remember) and your age at the time, and your current age(now if you say the first one you built was an altair 8800... current age is optional as those kits were sold in the middle 70's(30+ year ago). Ill start:

First build i had a little help as i was either 7/8 and can still remember the specs: (Current Age- 15, 16 in like 2 months)
Asus Mobo
AMD K6-III 400mhz Overclocked to 450mhz(Ah the days.... the heatsink on this thing was about 1/3rd the size of the current intel standard heatsink- not counting fan)
128mb Memory
Ati All-In-Wonder 128(Basically a rage 128 32mb with a built in tv tuner)
21" CRT
10gb Seagate HDD
250W PSU(no idea what the brand was)
Cheap case

Last edited:

Dropkickmurphys

I was 18 when I built my first PC from scratch. I have been taking them apart and putting them back together since I was about 13. But this was the first time I had enough money to actually build one. (im 19 now, 20 in august)

(tis the rig in my sig minus the 9800GTX+ [was a 8600GT])

Last edited:

Egon

Well I built my own a few months ago for the first time. But I rebuilt (took apart and reassembled) one when I was about 13-ish. 21 now.

Aastii

VIP Member
took apart completely and rebuilt to clean a system when i was 7 if that counts as a full build, I didn't build that one, it was a prebuilt my grandparents bought. This one I have now was built from scratch, so if that is when you are after, 14

N3crosis

I built my first rig when I was 14 (and still am) it is the rig in my sig. I have watched my dad and uncle build then before though, that's how I got into PC's.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
18 when i first built one from scratch,i started messing around with them since i was about 14-15.

im now 20,21 in late Sept. :)

epidemik

I've been taking them apart and putting them back together since age 8ish. We hhad a gateway with windows 95 that I actually broke on multiple occasions and my parents had to get some one to repair it. Its a wonder they contuned to let me use the computer.

Actually building one from scratch didnt happen until around 7th grade (a few years ago) where I got all the parts in a garage sale and took them back to Tux's house andwe built it together. I still have it under my bed. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd turn it into a server or something.

Mitch?

banned
I started a little after I moved, tinkering with some Windows 95 POS, I'd say I was ~8 years old. I found a 32mb stick of sdram at a garage sale and put it in, then I got a new cd drive (48x read!!!) and replaced the power supply with some cheap blue LED one (i'm pretty sure the original psu was ~150w. First entirely built one was in 2002. Athlon XP 2600+ T'Bred B, 512mb DDR 333,used onboard for awhile, then added a Siluro Ti200 (think it's the right name, it's nVidia)...
That computer was great until I wanted to play games :p When CNC Generals came out I had to use my brothers :)

tremmor

IMSI 8080 microprocessor. nothing but basic and dos then. even to program you had to flip all the switches for the address bus. 16bit and 8bit data bus.
it was in the early 70's. TRS-80 in a kit. Z80 microprocessor. both in a kit. all parts had to be soder on the boards. every part. sockets, caps, resistors, transformer and ribbon cable. Heathkit was the IMSI kit. they did not have smt then. just time consuming. the boards did have sockets though.

the Z80 was a big step up. Had a 4mh clock and 48k of ram.

i like old days
cheers.

Stildawn

Must have been 6 or so, as my Brother was still alive.. He was a computer programmer n what not (dont really know) but he helped me build an old Omega5000 I think it was lol would have a clue what the actual parts were.

That was.. 18 years ago lol. Man.

tremmor

No.....i come back from vietnam in 1968. i was 20 then. they let me out before my 21st birthday. the build was maybe 22 or 23.

that was my 1st color computer Commodore Amiga. i was already built.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

IMSI 8080 microprocessor. nothing but basic and dos then. even to program you had to flip all the switches for the address bus. 16bit and 8bit data bus.
it was in the early 70's. TRS-80 in a kit. Z80 microprocessor. both in a kit. all parts had to be soder on the boards. every part. sockets, caps, resistors, transformer and ribbon cable. Heathkit was the IMSI kit. they did not have smt then. just time consuming. the boards did have sockets though.

the Z80 was a big step up. Had a 4mh clock and 48k of ram.

i like old days
cheers.

Wow, youve been around computers awhile then eh, I wish i could find an old altair with an 8080 and the flip switches... but soo.... expensive...:(

tremmor

Me too.
they did not have the internet then. it was bulletin boards and dial up.
means something to me now. Oh well, got my family, friends and grand children. THAT'S AS GOOD AS IT GETS.........

Justin

VIP Member
i was 17

amd 3200+ 2.0ghz
nvidia 7300gs 256mb turbocached
some cheap foxconn mobo
maxtor 160gb 5400rpm hdd
lite-on combo drive

Ethan3.14159

I think I was about 12 or 13. A friend of my parents showed me how to put one together.

AMD 650 MHz CPU
512 MB of RAM (may have been 384)
Monster Fusion 32 MB Graphics card (Then "upgraded" to a Nvidia MX440)
250 watt PSU
Asus Motherboard
80 GB IDE HDD
All inside a beige case :D

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My dad built our family computer when I was 8 or so. I built my machine when I was 14 or 15.