How should I configure a Linux machine to share internet connection with a W10 machine

spupazza

Hi, I'm trying to setup my a malware lab.
I have 2 latops: on one I have installed Kali Linux, on the other one I have installed Windows 10.
Both laptops have 1 ethernet port/NIC and one wireless interface.

I have also 1 physical network line to dedicate to this setup, with only one ethernet port. The idea I'm trying to implement is that the Linux machines will receive the internet connection through ethernet, and I want to share this connection with the Windows 10 machine 'somehow'.
Also I'll use a software -INETSIM, installed on the Linux machine- which will simulate a virtual network.

If I setup a hotspot with a dhcp, INETSIM won't work as it needs a static IP.
If I setup the hotspot with a static IP, then the ethernet connection on the Linux machine won't work.

Can anybody suggest what route would be best in order to achieve my goal?
Summarizing: I need to make a Windows 10 laptop receive the internet connection from a Linux machine through wireless using a static ip address.

Darren

Staff member
You're going to have a much easier time if you just run it in a virtual machine than actually dual booting. I've built up a few labs at work and home and virtualization is key to make things easy to manage.

I'd make two VM's, one a W10 client and then the Linux client. They can talk to each other easily while both running and share connection with the overarching OS you're running it in.

beers

Staff member
Just throw in a cheap switch, trying to rig extra crap is a pain in the ass.
You're going to have a much easier time if you just run it in a virtual machine than actually dual booting.
The only caveat to that is lack of direct hardware access for some of the pentest tools.