How the hell do you downgrade the bios

matteuk

hi i have a asus p5w delux and i am haveing some broblems with with 1901 bios i realy want to go back to the 701 bios for compatablity reasons how do you downgrade the bios
please help
thanks.

PC eye

banned
Did you see a bad flash? The settings in the bios itself may need a change or two to correct a good flash. A reflash with the same 1901 version may see that corrected if something didn't program fully. Generally the newer version has fixes for correcting problems seen in the earlier versions. Usually you can't go backwards on flashing unless you can find a tool for clearing all programming off of the eprom.

You can also order a new eprom with the version you want preflashed direct from the board manufacturer at times. But that's the $25 + S&H costs and special DIP tool needed for insertion needed as well. What type of problems are you seeing on that model board? That will be a big help in advising other steps to look into.

matteuk

well when i first got my mobo it had the 701 and my hard drive was lightrning fast but then i flashed it and now its only doing 63mb/s i couldent find a link on asus's website about bios chip replacement can anyone find one please that would me much apreciated
thanks.

PC eye

banned
When you went to update the bios you have simply seen an incomplete flash of the eprom. The only time you should contact support is generally for replacement. But you can also specify it be reflashed for the costs of shipping and receiving the chip as well as the tool needed for reinserting it later. One goof there and you are without a board. That's something to consider since a chip is a delicate item.

You are better off trying a slightly older but not 0701 version to reflash with. This way you getting an update and another chance there. When using the product/type/model selector at the Asus support site you have a P5W DH Deluxe board is that correct? You left out the DH. The bios download page is seen at http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

You will find the latest you can try to redo or go with something like the 1801 beta or 1401 version. You probably saw a bad flash or there is some other reason for seeing the drive slow down. The updated version generally sees an improvement when it goes on good.

StrangleHold

Staff member
hi i have a asus p5w delux and i am haveing some broblems with with 1901 bios i realy want to go back to the 701 bios for compatablity reasons how do you downgrade the bios
please help
thanks.
You can just reflash it to the older one, done it quite a few times! Sometimes it might tell you that this one is older than the one on it but you just hit OK.

PC eye

banned
You could also go with the 1401 version for the reflash there. But if you are doing something wrong or have a bad floppy or download the end result would be a bad flash and not the version. Generally Asus bios updates go right on without problems.