how this set-up look?

Viper_86

banned
Feed-back on my killer stb machine

I've been building a computer over the internet the past couple days for extreme gaming, how does this look?

AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU
GigaByte #GA-K8VT800 ATX DDR $455.00

Radeon X800 XT Platinum $500.00 (i think it will b 500 when it comes out...if u have any news or prices on this exact card let me know)

Western Digital 250GB HD $159.99

Corsair-1 gig ddr 400 mhz $273.95

APEX Silver Mid-Tower Super Tower (400 Watt) $28.00

VIEWSONIC G220FB 21IN FLAT SCREEN $385

Microsoft Black Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical $33.00 (great reviews!)

Windows XP Home Edition $89.00

GRAND TOTAL OF $1,924.94 :)

I was told by a friend that this might bottleneck coz the card is 2 good for the system :mad: , wut do u think :confused:

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. You could do better on the mobo, grab the ASUS
2. Timings on the Corsair?
3. I cant remember the d.p. on that but i think the "G" series has 0.26?
4. Why the Home Edition?

72montecarlo

Your friend might not be to far off there. If you have the money which it seems you do, based on everything else you purchased. I would go with the Asus board like praetor said but get the athlon 64 Fx-53 chip. It performs a lot better then the 64 3200+. You can look up benchmarks and see how they compare yourself. Wouldnt worry bout any 'bottlenecking' if you had that chip ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but just note that the FX is series is significantly more epxensive than even the already expensive basic A64 line of chips :)

Blind_Arrow

if i would be making a system from re-start (Assuming you dont spend too frequently like me), here what I will buy:

AMD Athlon FX-53 (the 939 pin version)
Asus A8V Deluxe (this is on Via K8T800 Pro Chipset)

else on your choice, Mushkin in DDR RAM is cool, this above spec is for a hardcore gamer PC, ATi is of course very good choice, and plkease increase the Power Wattage, at least 450+, as I know how my PSU's fan gets faster (run hot) as when I moved to 1600X1200 Resolution, and of course you'll be using higher.

what ever processor u buy, as now both AMD 64 and FX series are on 939 pin, bus this AV8 Motherboard. you can start with AMD 64, and in future you want to buy FX series, you wont be having problems upgrading to FX, as both have now same pin structure., reminding you, Gigabyte is as well very nice, if you are in habbit of Gigabyte, go for it. and Buy GA-K8SNSXP-939, instead, this mobo rocks as well.

summarising:
Buy 939 pin processor instead of seperating your choices between 754 and 940 pins (you might have to wait 1-2 weeks)
in Motherboards: Buy any one of these:
1: GigaByte GA-K8SNSXP-939.
2: Asus AV8 Deluxe.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
reminding you, Gigabyte is as well very nice, if you are in habbit of Gigabyte, go for it. and Buy GA-K8SNSXP-939, instead, this mobo rocks as well.
This is new. GB didnt used to have this kinda "reccomendability" ... I'll have to look into this :)

Buy 939 pin processor instead of seperating your choices between 754 and 940 pins (you might have to wait 1-2 weeks)
Well gamers are probably better off avoiding Socket940 (leaving the 940s for people interested in serious applications requireing stability etc). :0

Blind_Arrow

Praetor said:
Well gamers are probably better off avoiding Socket940 (leaving the 940s for people interested in serious applications requireing stability etc). :0

this 939 series actually came out, combining both AMD 64 and AMD FX series into one motherboard, prior to both on different pin sets 754 and 940. as for now, you can buy one motherboard, and both processors can work on it, weather its AMD 64 or AMD FX. I can assure, three isnt any stability issue on 939, as I have recently tested the 775 series intel chipset against 939 pin AMD FX-53 on Gigabyte (that I mentioned), and I was thinking just for one thing meanwhile. (Why Didnt I wait a little) :), still am happy with Intel as I made myself intel after a long time using AMD's just because of Hyper Threading (cause I am Adobe Photoshop and Premiere user ;) )

Blind_Arrow

a little extension:

Windows XP Home is farewell, if you arent on network and arent into developing things, I'll recommend Home XP, as in PRO, there are several thins extra running at the same time. e.g: web server (IIS), which you'll never be requiring unless until u r into web development like me, these services can though be shut down, but still PRO takes more resources of System for things that you wont be using anyway. if you are making it for gaming only, I'll surely recommend Home, no need for burning extra Bucks (American Slang) or Quids (British) on PRO. ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
three isnt any stability issue on 939, as I have recently tested the 775 series intel chipset against 939 pin AMD FX-53 on Gigabyte (that I mentioned)
For most people there wont be stability issues on a 939 board however people interested in running highly active small-business type servers would disagree. The stricter memory requirements for the Socket940 (registered memory as a minimum) provides for an additional layer of stability and security when it comes to uptime as transaction counts start to climb

if you are making it for gaming only, I'll surely recommend Home, no need for burning extra Bucks (American Slang) or Quids (British) on PRO.
But if you think about it, WindowsXP was initially developed as what we know as WindowsXP Pro. MS hacked off some features and sold it as WindowsXP Home. :D Now imagine something like that applied to say, a car: "Ford developed CarA" but then decides to "Leave out the windows" in its "budget version" (which damn near costs the same) .... its not so much the lost functionality but rather the principle of the matter :)

Viper_86

banned
72montecarlo said:
If you have the money which it seems you do, based on everything else you purchased. I would go with the Asus board like praetor said but get the athlon 64 Fx-53 chip.

Thnx for the suggestion, i'll take a look at this chip. as far as money goes, i dont have much right now, but im saving up for it. i am trying to keep the cost below $2000, but if i had to spend a little over that amount, it would be on the processor or the mobo.

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
You could do better on the mobo, grab the ASUS
Why the Home Edition?

thnx man, ill look in2 a new mobo, i just liked the deal i was getting with the bundle. but since i will probably go with the fx-53, i might as well go with a better mobo. as for the home edition...i only want to do gaming on this machine, and of course internet, but i dont want to spend extra money on something that i wont fully use.

Blind_Arrow

Asus AV8 Deluxe in Mobo or I as well mentioned GigaByte (self tested on 939 pin)
Athlon FX (939 pin version) in Processor
and at least 450W good power supply
and 2 matching sticks of RAM, for dual channel

this is a quick reminder

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
this is a quick reminder
Of what? :)

potential? explain how I can make it better for not much more money
Oh please. Must you go around putting everyone down?? Ok ... you're the leetest of the leet ... let's work together to help people ... now if you want a braggin thread ... that's a different story! :D

Cheers

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
Of what? :)

Oh please. Must you go around putting everyone down??

ok 1st tell me how im puttin every1 down. ti was just askin the guy how i can make my pc better for not much more money, i wasnt bein rude.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ok 1st tell me how im puttin every1 down. ti was just askin the guy how I can make my pc better for not much more money, I wasnt bein rude.
This is what I had in mind:
potential? explain how I can make it better for not much more money

Perhaps it seems a little testy if you read it again. Perhaps not. Apologies if I misread you, that did come across as slightly hostile

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
This is what I had in mind:

Perhaps it seems a little testy if you read it again. Perhaps not. Apologies if I misread you, that did come across as slightly hostile

i can c where ur comin from...i guess that did come across kinda rude to some ppl...sry dark if that offended u in anyway...but i was just askin if u knew how i can improve the specs for little money.

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
What are those specs? :)
il copy my set up...not really the specs of the hardware...just the actual hardware...

AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU
GigaByte #GA-K8VT800 ATX DDR $455.00

Radeon X800 XT Platinum $500.00 (i think it will b 500 when it comes out...if u have any news or prices on this exact card let me know)

Western Digital 250GB HD $159.99

Corsair-1 gig ddr 400 mhz $273.95

APEX Silver Mid-Tower Super Tower (400 Watt) $28.00

VIEWSONIC G220FB 21IN FLAT SCREEN $385

Microsoft Black Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical $33.00 (great reviews!)

Windows XP Home Edition $89.00

GRAND TOTAL OF $1,924.94 :)