How to Allow Workgroup Sharing but Not Network?

PurePwnage

Hi.

I made a workgroup for myself which connects my netbook and desktop. How can I make it so that other computers outside the workgroup don't have access to those files?

Let's put it this way:
Desktop - Workgroup Purepwnage
Netbook - Workgroup Purepwnage
Customer's Laptop - Workgroup Mshome

But the Customer's Laptop can access files shared by Desktop and Netbook.

How can I fix this?

djy

i dont really get your questin butheres my input

to share resources all 3 computers must be in a workgroup or domain.

if you have 3 computers and you want to restrict certain files you need to use permissions.

for example file A can be acessed by all computers.
file B can only acessed by comp 1 + 2
file c can only be accesed by comp 3

tlarkin

VIP Member
Map the drives from the client machines you want to have access to, then put a $ in front of those folders and they won't show up on searches across the network.

PurePwnage

Map the drives from the client machines you want to have access to, then put a $ in front of those folders and they won't show up on searches across the network.
I've never mapped a drive, but I just tried it and it works (Z Drive). How would the other computer access it if it cannot be reached across the network? Just by being in the same workgroup?

@DJY...I tried that earlier but I could not switch "locations" other than my desktop I was doing it from. If I could have switched to set permissions to not allow "EVERYONE" but to allow "ADMINISTRATORS" on my computer and "ADMINISTRATORS" on the other computer.

Last edited:

djy

i still dont really get what your needing to do?

if your wanting to set 3 computers to talk to each other and share files?

goto my computer right click select properties>computer name> change and put in work group name> repeat on all computers.

in network connections set-up home or small office connection.

set up shared files on each computer or on one computer

use permissions to deny access to certian files from certian locations.

and bob should be your mothers brother :D

PurePwnage

i still dont really get what your needing to do?

if your wanting to set 3 computers to talk to each other and share files?

goto my computer right click select properties>computer name> change and put in work group name> repeat on all computers.

in network connections set-up home or small office connection.

set up shared files on each computer or on one computer

use permissions to deny access to certian files from certian locations.

and bob should be your mothers brother :D

Noooo...I have 3 computers connected an access point. Computer A wants to share files with Computer B and not Computer C. How can I do that?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Noooo...I have 3 computers connected an access point. Computer A wants to share files with Computer B and not Computer C. How can I do that?

Put a $ sign in front of the shared folders names this hides it from being search able. Then open up an explorer window and right click and there should be a map network drive option. Map the drive by IP or by computer name. Then authenticate to it since SMB requires authentication. The owner of the share point (the user account) is the credentials you use. Now, every time it boots up it will map the drive if you tick the box that says remember these settings. On the computer you don't want to share don't map anything, and if you use the $ sign the network browser will not pull it up. Then someone must know the other computer names and/or IPs to even try to map it, plus they would have to know the user name and password as well.

PurePwnage

Works on my computer, but the other computer I mapped to says this when I try to enter the folder:

:Z is not accessible. Access denied.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I can't even post stuff from my own desktop in the mapped drive! WTF is going on? The permissions allow me too.

Are you mapping your user account's desktop? You don't have permissions for that, you need to access a shared folder and then have all of them access that folder.

PurePwnage

Are you mapping your user account's desktop? You don't have permissions for that, you need to access a shared folder and then have all of them access that folder.

Access denied still after mapping a newly created folder in my Shared Documents.