How to boot second OS

jesse kraus

Yo,

lately i have been looking for a way to dual boot my system, but i could never find a way. then all of a sudden a magazine im subscribed to showed me how, so i followed the steps and everything went great. after the installation of ubuntu i had to restart the system and it would automatically take me to the grub bootloader, but this didnt happen, instead windows just booted. in my uefi i couldnt find the option ubuntu like the article said if it didnt work and if it didnt work i had to enter the command bcdedit /set "{bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi in cmd as an admin. this command didnt work either since it said it wasnt recognized.

my only current way of booting ubuntu is to go to the usb drive i have all the files from the website on, then click the installer and it would take me to my already existing ubuntu os, after that has happened i am able to close the installer and now i can freely roam unbuntu, but i know thats not how to do it.

_Pete_

I haven't tried it with Ubuntu but it works okay with Xubuntu. When the dual boot option comes up on screen it gives Xubuntu as the first option and Windows as the second option. If you don't do anything then it, rather quickly, boots into Linux. I think you will have to get rid of the dual boot and I don't know how to do that but dual booting with Linux distros is, usually, pretty straight forward. Usually the dual boot option is given when you install linux so really all you should have to do is follow the prompts when installing Linux. Not a lot of help I know other than to say that it looks like something went awry during the installation.

Shlouski

VIP Member
The only ways I know how to dual boot is by creating another partition on a dive and installing the OS to it or by booting from a second drive with the OS installed, which way have you done it?