How to Build a Computer - Step by Step (With Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

VIP Member
I prefer to install the cpu and heatsink before the board is mounted in the chassis - while the board is laying flat on the desk. That way you don't risk breaking the board in the process
I used to get the CPU and heatsinks fixed on MB before I screw the board to the case....
Thats certainly an option, everyone has their own way of building computers. With LGA775 motherboards however the heatsink pins extrude on the bottom of the motherboard, so you can't lie it face flat on a desk and secure the heatsink without lifting the motherboard off the ground somewhat.

Ditto! It's much easier to do it that way!

You did not touch on what a pain, and how much different that case is to assemble over every other case made. Also I ran my wires on the back side of the case so they were not visiable. But otherwise, nice build!

I would never use that case again for any of my builds in the future.
hehe, granted working with cheaper and/or smaller cases is more difficult, this just shows what you get in terms of features and ease of use with a higher priced case. And I thought about routing the wires to the back, although if I did I should have done so before connecting everything, so I just zip-tied it together to clean it up a bit.

[-omega-] i would like to stick this, but we already have 3 stickies in this section and that is my about where i like to draw the line. Instead i proposed merging it with the current http://www.computerforum.com/16363-building-computers-101-a.html
thread
would this be acceptable to you?
if so i would like to suggest a few amendments, mainly to formatting
Let me know
I understand, and that would be great!

Geoff

VIP Member
That's alotta HDD's :D:D I think it's a great guide. I must bookmark this for people :D
Thanks guys!

I thought I would help out some of the new members here who want a guide on building a computer with several added photos. The current guide we have is great, although I can see how people would get lost without any photos.

codeman0013

OMEGA you never cease to amaze me yet another amazign job geoff. This will be used for many people in my end i even showed it to my intern who doesnt have a clue in life lol...

nexolus

i will be building my completed new rig (except with terrible P4 processor, waiting for the Q9450 in january) hopefully tomorrow, but maybe thursday. i'll document it and post it here as well for others to see.

Geoff

VIP Member
OMEGA you never cease to amaze me yet another amazign job geoff. This will be used for many people in my end i even showed it to my intern who doesnt have a clue in life lol...
Omega nice tut mate, Danny yours too.;)
Nice I really like that tutorial so thatt newbies arent constantly asking for pics
Finally someone wrote a really great guide to building a computer, this should be stickied.
Thanks guys! APJ said it should be stickied, although since we already have 3 stickied threads he's going to be merging it with the current "Building Computers 101" thread.

good stuff, i will use to help me when i do mine..still stuck a bit, but this forum helped.
What are you stuck on?

i will be building my completed new rig (except with terrible P4 processor, waiting for the Q9450 in january) hopefully tomorrow, but maybe thursday. i'll document it and post it here as well for others to see.
I don't mean to discourage you, but IMO it's a bit pointless to have two identical threads when you know someone else already made one.

Status
Not open for further replies.