How to Build a Computer - Step by Step (With Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d749s

nice computer uhh im gunna make my own rig and im willing to spend 500-600 bucks what should i get to make a decent computer for mw2 and bioshock2 i can run low or medium resolution idc email me what you think at [email protected]. Everything should cost 500-600 dollars i mean every single part needed. thx!

mischa88

Thank you so much for this guide!

Hello!

This is my first time on these forums, but wanted to say thank you for writing this- it's fantastic! I've been delaying building my own computer as I was worried I would make mistakes, but now I think I'm ready to start designing my own.

I'm so glad you mentioned thermal paste. The other guides I've read didn't! :D

bkribbs

hey guys. im only 14 so im kinda new at this stuff. i just took apart an old desktop an am puttin git back together. what type of cord is this and how do i plug it in?
ide-cable.jpg
also, my mom has an old laptop that the charging port broke on, so it wont work. can i strip it for its parts and put those in the desktop im building for extra RAM etc.?

thanks
bkribbs

Feuerfrei.x

hey guys. im only 14 so im kinda new at this stuff. i just took apart an old desktop an am puttin git back together. what type of cord is this and how do i plug it in?
ide-cable.jpg
also, my mom has an old laptop that the charging port broke on, so it wont work. can i strip it for its parts and put those in the desktop im building for extra RAM etc.?

thanks
bkribbs
It's good to see another 14 year old on here :D Anyway that cable is some kid of IDE ribbon cable i think (hopefully) and no - you can't use Laptop RAM in a desktop computer - sorry. It's because they are typically different shapes and sizes

joh06937

It's good to see another 14 year old on here :D Anyway that cable is some kid of IDE ribbon cable i think (hopefully) and no - you can't use Laptop RAM in a desktop computer - sorry. It's because they are typically different shapes and sizes

yep that is an ide cable used for connecting two ide devices (i.e. 2 hard drives, a hard drive and dvd drive, or two dvd drives).

bkribbs

ok thanks. so are there any parts that i can use from the laptop in the desktop? any parts at all? like what anout a second hard drive or something?

thanks,
bkribbs

bkribbs

what are these?
100_0569.JPG
100_0568.JPG
100_0567.JPG

this is my desktop insides if it matters:
100_0575.JPG

can i take this s-video plug out of the computer it is in:
100_0578.JPG
100_0580.JPG

and put it in this one?:
100_0577.JPG
100_0576.JPG

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
hey guys sorry the oics are so big. is there a way to make them smaller?
First off, you really should have started a new thread.

Second, you could upload them with imageshack and resize them.

As far as your questions go:

1000569n.jpg

This is a molex power connector. It is used on IDE hard drives, CD-ROM drives, and even some older AGP graphics cards.

1000568fp.jpg

The brown slot on the top is an AGP slot. It is usually used for graphics cards.

the white slot below is a PCI slot. It can be used for a number of things such as wireless cards, video cards, TV Tuner cards, etc.

1000567n.jpg

Looks like the heatsink for your chipset (onboard video and sound)

1000578r.jpg

No, you cannot remove the S-video port. It is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be moved.

If you're looking for S-Video, you can look into getting a video card like one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=2328:14201&PropertyCodeValue=2328:14101

Last edited:

pjtrucker

awesome! with the pictures and instructions provided, it will be a great help for the beginners who are still starting to assemble a cpu unit themselves. anyways, can you share it to us, if it is okay with you, the specifications of your cpu unit. by the way, thanks for the post -OMEGA-.

Thanks,

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
anyways, can you share it to us, if it is okay with you, the specifications of your cpu unit. by the way, thanks for the post -OMEGA-.

Thanks,

He did.

[-0MEGA-];832089 said:
First a little background here, The case that is used in this build is the Antec Nine Hundred. The other components that I used was the Asus P5K Deluxe (based off the P35 chipset), Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2GB of Corsair XMS2, Silverstone 750W power supply, 4x Seagate 320GB SATAII hard drives, ATI 2900XT video card, X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS sound card, and a Cooler Master UFO CPU cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.