How to change EXTERNAL IP Address

theshadowxx

Hi I'm just wondering how I change my EXTERNAL IP Address.... can anyone help me out? I've heard the only way is to call my ISP and tell them to change it... are there any other ways?

Bodaggit23

Kill power to your modem for half an hour.

Most ISP's issue dynamic IP's, so if you disconnect for a while, they'll issue you a new one automatically.

Works for my DSL anyway.

theshadowxx

ahh ok thanks, what I did is unplug my modem/router for 12hrs and let my DHCP lease expire, I now got a new IP address but the thing is that when I use a site to look up the location of my OLD ip address it still shows the same location... how come? how long will this take to change? or did my ISP just give someone else in my area my old ip address?

lawson_jl

Maybe your ISP uses a static IP in which case you would have to call your ISP to have them change it. I'm curious as to what game servers you've been banned from that you want to change it.

theshadowxx

my ISP did change though, well only the last 3 number, but does that mean that it has totally changed? I want it to be un-traceable from my previous IP address.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Why do you want to change it? Your ISP runs DHCP services to your cable modem, which has it's own MAC. By default design of DHCP, the client will always try to re-lease the same IP it has when the lease time is up. Lease time could be an hour, could be a day, so most likely you will almost always get the same IP for periods of time.

Plus your ISP probably assigns blocks of subnets to MAC of the cable modem, so you are always going to get the same IP range.

What exactly is your higher goal here?

tyttebøvs

If your isp provides reverse dns, you will probably also be recognizable even if you get an ip in a totally different subnet

theshadowxx

what is reverse DNS?

Well I changed my IP address yesterday, and aparently my DHCP lease expires evrey 12 hours, but I still have the same Ip address today as I did yesterday...

tlarkin

VIP Member
what is reverse DNS?

Well I changed my IP address yesterday, and aparently my DHCP lease expires evrey 12 hours, but I still have the same Ip address today as I did yesterday...

Google can explain DNS to you and how it resolves (reverse is a way to look up DNS from client to server, via nslookup for example) and like I mentioned before, the very nature of DHCP is that it will always try to request the previous IP it had by default. So, unless the server admins did some funk stuff (or whatever is running DHCP I suppose routers could be running it or network controllers) with their DHCP servers, the client is always going to try to keep the IP is has. That is the default action.

Again, what exactly is your higher goal?

theshadowxx

did my changing my IP but the last 3 digits change anyting at all? can i still be traced back to my old IP?

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

did my changing my IP but the last 3 digits change anyting at all? can i still be traced back to my old IP?

that means you ip has changed, isp's own blocks of ips and they are usually very simalar, but does not matter if it has been changed the ip you had before will still be able to be traced back to you