How to clone a HDD to SDD with a pre-installed factory OS?

P Bowry

Hello

I have just recently purchased a brand new laptop made by HP: HP250 G5

It comes with a pre-installed version of Window 10 Home on one partition and a recovery partition on the other.

I have tried to clone HDD which came with the machine to SDD, using both EaseUS Partition and EaseUS Backup software but I am not achieving any great results, although, the Backup software does actually copy Windows 10 perfectly fine but it does not recognise the recovery partition when trying to test out the factory set. The Partition software, on the other hand, does not do anything - No loading of Windows 10 or recognising a factory reset.

I have spent a whole day (10 hours) trying all the possible ways of cloning to my SDD but now I am losing hair fast from over scratching my head. HELP!! I understand that Windows can sometimes get locked down to one PC only but what has that got to with an upgrade?? Surely, HP allows one to upgrade their secondary drive??! And, it is not as if I am using the SDD on a different machine, the OS is staying with it's original pre-load machine.

Can any genius out there help me out with this frustrating, head scratching issue?

Many Thanks in advance

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a reason you want the recovery partition? Why not just install a Windows 10 version from Microsoft and lose the bonus software they bundle?

_Pete_

I wouldn't bother. Just download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from here:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and reinstall a clean version of Windows 10. You wont have any of the HP "Bonus"????? junk software that they include although if you really want it you could get it from the HP website. This will put a Windows 10 recovery partition on to your SSD as well although again with all the HP junk. Downside is that you may not get all the relevant drivers although in my experience Windows is pretty good at getting the correct drivers. they will be available on the HP web site though.

P Bowry

Is there a reason you want the recovery partition? Why not just install a Windows 10 version from Microsoft and lose the bonus software they bundle?

Doh... Why didn't I thought of this. Because it was pre-install I thought the key was hidden or something but the product key can actually be found in 'System' in the control panel.

Last edited:

P Bowry

I wouldn't bother. Just download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from here:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and reinstall a clean version of Windows 10. You wont have any of the HP "Bonus"????? junk software that they include although if you really want it you could get it from the HP website. This will put a Windows 10 recovery partition on to your SSD as well although again with all the HP junk. Downside is that you may not get all the relevant drivers although in my experience Windows is pretty good at getting the correct drivers. they will be available on the HP web site though.

Hi

If I use the Windows Media Creation tool then I can use my key which can be found in 'System' in the control panel.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The activation key is actually located in the registry, not the control panel. Some software have issues cloning hidden partitions or it's possible you didn t enable the option to clone the hidden recovery partition.

Technically you don't need the key once windows 10 is installed. When being reinstalled it will automatically activate when it reached the desktop. The activation key will be stored on MS servers when originally installed.

P Bowry

Thanks John. I decided to do a clean installed of Windows and ditch the recovery part. I spent a whole long day trying to clone the drive without success. I suppose it much healthier to ditch the bloated software anyway.