How to completely remove and reinstall graphics drivers (AMD, NVIDIA & Intel)

Darren

Staff member
Don't waste your time, Physx is only used in certain applications and usually is just an extra graphical effect here and there. Your 1070 can do it just fine on it's own and an aged 560 won't make any tangible difference.

Dew

DDU didn't work for me, I downloaded it and rebooted into safemode and tried to open it. I was prompted a number of options like- Yes, Yes to all, no, no to all. Any option I choose didnt really do anything for me.
I've got windows7 and pressing f8 only brought me to bios. I went into safemode by using msconfig.

Anyone know how I can get DDU to work so I can move onto the next step?

Dew

It seems like DDU wouldn't work without being connected to the internet, or perhaps somehow I was doing something wrong but as soon as I went online and tried running DDU, it worked.

Dew

I am a little confused after step 6, seeing how In the beginning I've already downloaded the new drivers for my new card-and onto step 6 I've removed all drivers, now onto step 7...
It's telling me to install my new drivers??

Dew

I misread, I should have installed my new card by now. Quick question without making a new thread, but do I absoultly have to remove my motherboard when installing a new card? I'm thinking no but everywhere I read they are telling me to do so. I'm just swapping out an old card and putting in a new one, mobo is already secure but just want to make sure.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, you don't remove the motherboard to replace the video card. Not sure where you saw that at. You only have to remove motherboard if you are installing an aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan.

Dew

Iv got the new card installed, thanks for the reply. Looks great, about to install the drivers and then take it for a spin.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You only have to remove motherboard if you are installing an aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan.
To expand on that,

Only if the aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan requires a backplate mount/bracket that you can't reach. Some aftermarket coolers don't require a bracket on the back of the motherboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To expand on that,

Only if the aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan requires a backplate mount/bracket that you can't reach. Some aftermarket coolers don't require a bracket on the back of the motherboard.
Yes, I should have added that. But frankly with any decent aftermarket cooler, you'll need to remove motherboard.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes, I should have added that. But frankly with any decent aftermarket cooler, you'll need to remove motherboard.
Not necessarily. Sometimes for ease, yes. But that's what the CPU bracket hole is for ;)

Darren

Staff member
My H100 uses the stock AMD mounting solution. :rolleyes:

Actually I had to steal the stock bracket from a friend because I didn't have mine anymore. Didn't think high end coolers would ever use the stock shitty clip system AMD uses.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My H100 uses the stock AMD mounting solution. :rolleyes:

Actually I had to steal the stock bracket from a friend because I didn't have mine anymore. Didn't think high end coolers would ever use the stock shitty clip system AMD uses.
Interesting. I've never had a aftermarket cooler that did (except for my socket 939 cooler from CompUSA - it was their brand but for the socket).

Makes me glad Intel doesn't use a bracket anymore. Nothing to lose.