How to connect my computer to my home stereo

J1254

I was wondering how to connect my computer up to my home stereo. I have speakers throughout my home that are connected to my stereo receiver. Is there a way to connect my computer up to the receiver so I can listen to songs from my computer over my strereo speakers.

Thanks
J1254

J1254

Thanks The_Other_One.

Could you please tell me what to search for at tigerdirect or newegg. Specifically what adapter or cable would I need to buy.

Thanks
J1254

J1254

I think the device you suggested above will work good. However, since the price is so low will it effect the sound quality. Can this four dollor device provide good quality sound from my computer to my stereo speakers?

Impr3ssiv3

that thing is nothing but a splitter theres no data crucnhing going on but just data transfer itll be fine but first which sound card do you have

J1254

it is actually my uncle's computer and stereo setup so iam not sure. Would the sound card make a difference with this device? I can ask him and get back to you tomorrow if it does.

SirKenin

banned
Well.... Stereos are my hobby, and I have a $10,000 stereo sitting in my livingroom... soooo.. I can tell you that unless you have $1000 amplifiers, a $1000 preamp, $800 speaker wire, $300 patch cables, $2000 speakers and a $500 soundcard, the splitter that The Other One picked out for you will be poifect. ;)

Impr3ssiv3

Well.... Stereos are my hobby, and I have a $10,000 stereo sitting in my livingroom... soooo.. I can tell you that unless you have $1000 amplifiers, a $1000 preamp, $800 speaker wire, $300 patch cables, $2000 speakers and a $500 soundcard, the splitter that The Other One picked out for you will be poifect. ;)

wtf do u get with $10k speakers

and wtf is preamp

and $800 speaker wire ??????

and patch cables???????

SirKenin

banned
$10,000 is the whole stereo. It's all Rotel except for the tuner. The speakers themselves were only $2000 (for the towers) and $800 for the sub.

A preamp is where the source signal is processed before it is sent to the amplifiers.

The speaker wire is British speaker wire (Chord)

The patch cables are what connects all the components together. I use Chord, Aperture, MusicLink and Esoteric Audio (not keen on those, but they're only for the tuner).

J1254

I will go with the four dollar device then. The stereo system I am talking about is just average.

Thanks
J1254

Archangel

VIP Member
Why it costs so much? It`s crazy to waste money on audio :eek:

tbh.. its not :) sure.. you can go for the overkill with Amp.. but a really high end installation is more wother it than a high end pc.. because audio systems dont get old that fast :eek:
Beisdes.. a 10k system is nice.. but its not the most expensive ones :)
My dad replaces his Rotel system 3 months ago, for a Sone ES5k system, and 4 B&W speakers ( 801's and 804's as rear speakers). agreed, i wouldnt have spent the ammount of money on it like he did.. but i do think it was worth it, because it has a really nice sound.

SirKenin

banned
Yeah, they sound awesome. You can sit and listen to it for hours without your ears hurting (Unlike Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, Harman/Kardon, JVC, etc) and just enjoy it. Not to mention a good stereo can last 20 or 30 years. It's well worth it. I love mine.

The most expensive stereo I have run across so far was $100,000. A little bit out of my price range...

Impr3ssiv3

Yeah, they sound awesome. You can sit and listen to it for hours without your ears hurting (Unlike Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, Harman/Kardon, JVC, etc) and just enjoy it. Not to mention a good stereo can last 20 or 30 years. It's well worth it. I love mine.

The most expensive stereo I have run across so far was $100,000. A little bit out of my price range...

and could i see these one

SirKenin

banned
I don't have a picture. I ran into it in a Hifi shop in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. It was incredible. *sigh*

$10,000 mono blocks sitting on the floor beside each speaker.. It was a piece of art.