How to correctly clean a LCD Monitor?

BurningSkyline

I pulled a 17" LCD out of my old laptop and to be honest, It needs some cleaning. It is a Glossy monitor as well, if that matters. What would be the best way to clean of the smudges and other marks on the screen? Thank you in advance. -BurningSkyline

OvenMaster

VIP Member
You've got to check your monitor manual. My ViewSonic manual specifically says:

"ViewSonic® does not recommend the use of any ammonia or alcohol-based
cleaners on the LCD dislay screen or case. Some chemical cleaners have been
reported to damage the screen and/or case of the LCD dislay. ViewSonic will not
be liable for damage resulting from use of any ammonia or alcohol-based cleaners."

This means at least for my monitor, no Windex.

BurningSkyline

You've got to check your monitor manual. My ViewSonic manual specifically says:

"ViewSonic® does not recommend the use of any ammonia or alcohol-based
cleaners on the LCD dislay screen or case. Some chemical cleaners have been
reported to damage the screen and/or case of the LCD dislay. ViewSonic will not
be liable for damage resulting from use of any ammonia or alcohol-based cleaners."

This means at least for my monitor, no Windex.

Problem is, there is no manual. It is just an LCD.

Broni

VIP Member
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2007/01/how-to-properly-clean-your-lcd-screen.html
First, you've probably seen some of those LCD cleaning solutions in computer stores right? The good news is that if you do not want to pay for a commercial product, mixing up your own solution is very easy. If you don't want to take any chances and prefer to use a professional product, please see our recommendation at the end of this article. So to get started, you only need 2 ingredients:

The recipe is easy: Mix the Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water in equal parts (50/50) inside an empty Windex-like bottle. Do not use tap water! Doing so will leave white smears on your screen after cleaning it up because of the dissolved minerals inside the water. When finished mixing, just close the bottle using the "spray" adaptor that comes attached to it.

Next, you will need to find a good, soft piece of microfiber cloth to clean your display. Avoid paper tissues at all cost! Using those on your screen would be just like scrubbing sandpaper on it and may scratch it permanently. You wouldn't want to do that right?

Now that we have everything we need, start by turning off your screen. Dampen your piece of soft cloth with your cleaning mixture and then wipe the display gently from top to bottom. Never spray liquid directly onto the LCD. When you're done, wait a few minutes to let your screen dry, and then turn it back on. Voila, you're done! Your screen should now be sparkling clean.

And if you absolutely want to use a product that was specifically made to clean LCD screens, Amazon.com has a really cheap and effective Monster-branded alcohol free LCD cleaner, which even includes a high-tech reusable MicroFiber cloth.

==========================================================

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tv/4213061
Since I'd never suggest you spend more money than you have to, I'd start with a clean, soft cloth and regular ol' tap water. You can add just a capful of isopropyl alcohol to a glass of water if you need something to help loosen the greasy gunk on the screen, so it can wipe off more easily. Get the cloth damp and then apply to the screen instead of splashing the screen and trying to wipe up the liquid; and always -- always -- use a clean cloth, as tiny, hard particles trapped in the fibers can scratch the surface of your screen.

=================================================

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Laptop-Screen-with-Household-Products

1. 1

Create a gentle cleaning solution. The ideal solution is plain distilled water. If more heavy cleaning is needed a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water can also be effective.

• Manufacturers no longer recommend using any cleaners with alcohol, ammonia or any strong solvents on LCD screens.
  2. 2

Put the solution in a small atomizer bottle, the type that you push from the top to get a fine mist. Don't use this to spray on the screen itself, however.
  3. 3

Apply a minimal amount of the solution to very soft cloth such as a cotton cloth (e.g. an old T-shirt), a lint-free microfiber cloth, a disposable cloth (such as a soft, non-woven compress or disposable wipe from the drugstore with no cleaning agents added) or similar. A large cloth (or several disposable wipes) is best, since it will help to reduce the risk of leaving streaks across the screen from finger pressure. Do not make the cloth wet, only moist. A wet cloth can drip or run when cleaning the screen and the solution can weep behind the bezel and permanently damage your screen!
  4. 4

Wipe the cloth against the screen in a circular, or other consistent motion. Rapid circular movements generally eliminate streaks. Apply a gentle and even pressure to the cloth. Use only enough pressure to keep the cloth in contact with the screen. Take care not to press your fingers into the cloth or screen. Applying too much force when cleaning the screen can permanently damage the LCD matrix rendering your screen unusable.

...all pretty similar methods...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
50/50 solution of Isopropyl Alcohol/distilled water and a micro-fiber cloth.

EDIT: Damn Broni, you beat me :p

Okedokey

What a load of garbage.

Get a tissue and dampen it. Gently wipe the LCD down.

Unless you have been firing some late night custard tarts at that monitor, i have no idea what you would be needing a funnel for?

tremmor

Have to admit some are extreme. I just use a eyegass lens cleaner from any local drug store. also a special cloth for cleaning my glasses. have the same type cloth used for monitors only.

PohTayToez

Ack, I had no idea Windex was harmful. I don't think I've ever used it, I normally go with the rubbing alcohol.