how to create a bootable WinXP Pro sp2 cd

wlau

hi all,
i gt a soft copy of Win XP SP2 and i need to burn it in as a bootable cd using Nero 7, anyone knows the detailed steps?

Ben

VIP Member
Are you saying you have the file on your computer? Or you already have it on CD, but want to make another one...

If you have it on your computer as an ISO. file, then you most likely downloaded it from a Torrent site?

wlau

Yes,the file is on my computer, but it is not an ISO file.
My friend burned the copy to me. It can autorun in Windows however is not a bootable one, i copy all the files in the cd to my local HD, but i don't know how to create an image file for booting purpose and also setting for Nero 7.8 to burn the bootable cd.

newatit27

Uh, sorry mate to my understanding that would be aganist the rules of this forum. You are able to BACKUP Software Which you have purchased but to recieve a burnt copy from a friend is not acceptable, and is a sure fine way to get yourself banned.

wlau

well,my friend's cd is original one,we are trying slipstreaming sp2 however we don't know how to burn it as a bootable cd, i don't wish to break any rules of this forum,so if i got any mistakes please kindly comment me.

wlau

yes,i click 'make a bootable disk' then nero burning rom pops out, the problem is the default boot image file provided by nero is usable? how about other settings?

wlau

well,if it is really illegal then we better stop :D
i just thinking a better way to install my Windows XP with sp 2,not thinking any illegal or pirated stuff ><''

madtownidiot

I believe so

No it is NOT illegal. It's only illegal to install the same OS using the same product key on more than one computer concurrently. If you have purchased a copy of windows, either as a disk, or by buying a new computer, you have the right to use it any way you see fit, so long as it's only being run on one computer at a time. Most computer stores will burn you a bootable windows cds or a dvd if you bring them your computer with the key code attached.

newatit27

well,my friend's cd is original one,we are trying slipstreaming sp2 however we don't know how to burn it as a bootable cd, i don't wish to break any rules of this forum,so if i got any mistakes please kindly comment me.

But hes saying his friend is the one who gave it to him, so yes it is illegal for him to burn a copy of another person's win xp.
unless of course it will be used by the friend and not himself.

Last edited:

wlau

Well,i have to make clear that i am actually trying to make a bootable cd for my friend with SP2 slipstreamed. I am using Vista so i am not interested on XP SP2 at all. :D
But i would like to make clear another thing as well,according to madtownidiot, if i hold a copy but i do not install it using the same product key on more than one computer concurrently, then that is not counted as illegal right? Or i install it simply using my own product key, is it counted as illegal also? i don't think so ~~

hmmm,this thread should be changed title already, as we are discussing legal matter more than bootable disk matter :p

madtownidiot

Well,i have to make clear that i am actually trying to make a bootable cd for my friend with SP2 slipstreamed. I am using Vista so i am not interested on XP SP2 at all. :D
But i would like to make clear another thing as well,according to madtownidiot, if i hold a copy but i do not install it using the same product key on more than one computer concurrently, then that is not counted as illegal right? Or i install it simply using my own product key, is it counted as illegal also? i don't think so ~~

hmmm,this thread should be changed title already, as we are discussing legal matter more than bootable disk matter :p

To answer your question, yes. And to make a bootable cd you have to use disk imaging software. Ghost, for example, will work if you disable the autorun function for your CD/DVD drive before you put the disk in. You have the right to transfer the OS from one computer to another, so long as you're uninstalling the OS from the computer you're transferring it from.

Another possibility is to boot your friend's computer up using a remote connection, then install the os once it's running. If you copy it onto the HDD using another computer, then reinstall the HDD, and boot it up using an ethernet connection it should work

Last edited: