How to defrag before start-up? plz help

lexmark

My computer won't start up. The last time this happened, I was able to fix it by defragging my HD, before windows loaded. It was in that black-screen with white lettering (bios?). And it was in three phases, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 defrag

I started the defrag by accident last time, I think it started by iteself, after I reset the computer 50 times. And don't know how to do it again.

Can someone please tell me how to start the defrag before windows loads?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You are probably talking about the CHECK DISK procedure and not the defragmentation.

Do this:

When the BIOS screen goes away,keep pressing F8 until Windows Advanced Menu pops up.After that select SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.
Once you are logged into YOUR account and once the command prompt is opened,type the following:

chkdsk.exe C: /F /R /X /V

NOTE: "C:" is just a drive letter example.Your operating system can be installed under ANY other drive letter so be sure to use the correct one.If you are not sure what to do then simply do the same thing for all the drive letters you have.

Once you are asked that you must restart the computer in order for this to start,type Y.That means YES.

Now type the following to restart the computer:

shutdown.exe -R -T 0

The computer will restart and the check disk process will start so let it finish.It can take a long time so do NOT restart the computer during the process.

You can also defragment your drive in SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT too.The command is:

defrag.exe C: /F /V

NOTE: "C:" is just a drive letter example.Your operating system can be installed under ANY other drive letter so be sure to use the correct one.If you are not sure what to do then simply do the same thing for all the drive letters you have.

NOTE: I noticed that in Windows 7 you have more parameters/switches which you can use with defrag.exe than you do in XP.So you can investigate those too if you want,but the one I gave you should be just fine.

IMPORTANT: You should always use "chkdsk.exe" first and THEN use "defrag.exe".Because chkdsk will check the drive for errors and fix them as neccessary.Defrag does not do that.It is something else.

Cheers!

Last edited:

lexmark

Thank you for your lengthy reply, I appeciate it.

I've restarted my pc about 80 times, and have tried every setting, including all safe modes. Nothing get's past the windows loading screen.

Safe mode starts, then freezes on windows/system32/drivers\AVGIDSHX.SYS

Okedokey

Its stopping at the AVG program issue. Repair install your OS by inserting the Windows DVD and going to repair.