How to delete ALL information from laptop, software Ubuntu before selling?

EWC88

I have a laptop with Ubuntu software. I am getting ready to sell it and I do not want the person buying it to have any of my information, past history, pictures, and files. I already deleted everything from desktop and files from folders, but I know people are hackers, so how do I wipe my whole laptop clean?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Well the safest thing to do and my recommendation would be to replace the HD with a new, unused one and keep the old one (or just sell it without the HD if that's an option). If that's not an option, dban will make all the data unavailable to your average and even more skilled hacker, though it's still possible to recover the data on it (but one would need pricey hardware that usually only data recovery professionals have).

wolfeking

banned
the safest way to keep all data secure on that HDD is to put a .45ACP slug through it.

Second way, the gutman method. that is the 30 odd swipe pass. That would make the data as close to unrecoverable as you can get with leaving the HDD in tact. Only the most determined hackers would be able to get data from that. And it would probably take them months to get the data and reconstruct it then.

wolfeking

banned
I use Dban. It is a free download that will allow you to chose which kill method you want. It is set by default to the DOD3 method, that is 3 passes. Gutman is the top of the list.

Killdisk is also a free download I believe. I haven't used it, but it is just another version of DBAN i do believe. Like going from ubuntu to mint. Just different versions of the same thing.

tremmor

Killdisk works well as mentioned. Free version will make one military pass.
Pay will make several passes using a different algorithm. Just read the guide at the website. It explains it. Or just use the windows install disc. Do a full format if installing windows. Not a quick format.

claptonman

Full format won't rewrite the disk over and over.

If you have a desktop you're able to plug the drive into, you can also use ccleaner, which can make 1, 7, or 35 passes.