How to determine the version of usb cables so that I can only keep usb 2 cable?

aspfun

I have a lot of usb 1 and usb 2 cables.
How to determine the version of usb cables so that I can only keep usb 2 cable?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Unless they are marked, dont think you can tell the difference. The only difference is the quality/wires and shielding. Most USB 1.1 cables will work just fine with 2.0.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
All USB 1.1 will work with 2.0, at least somewhat. There are obvious advantages to having the 2.0 vs. the 1.1, but devices will still work with the older format. And as StrangleHold said, unless the cable has printed on the sheath whether it is 1.1 or 2.0, there is no way to tell.

aspfun

Utility to test speed of usb 1.0 and 2.0

Since there is difference speed of 1.0 and 2.0, is there a utility to test speed and then tell us?

Flaring Afro

plug an external hard drive and try to send a 4 gig file and see which ones are slower. only real way. or just trash em and buy new ones. you can get them for less than a buck on ebay.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Actually, the idea of connecting a device (printer, hard drive, etc.) through USB is a great idea, and you don't even have to send anything to the device. As soon as you connect the USB cable Windows should pop up saying that "This device would work faster if connected through USB 2.0" if it's a USB 1.1 cable. If it's a 2.0 cable it wouldn't say anything other than "new device found"; at least in theory that's what would happen... :)

memory

Actually, the idea of connecting a device (printer, hard drive, etc.) through USB is a great idea, and you don't even have to send anything to the device. As soon as you connect the USB cable Windows should pop up saying that "This device would work faster if connected through USB 2.0" if it's a USB 1.1 cable. If it's a 2.0 cable it wouldn't say anything other than "new device found"; at least in theory that's what would happen... :)

That is correct. I have an old computer that still has the old type of usb cables and whenever I connect a device, it pretty much says the same thing.