how to dissipate an m.2 ssd from the back, on a rog formula z690 motherboard

Ayudin

Hello everyone, I just bought this rog formula z690 motherboard.

and I have connected a 4tb capacity m.2 ssd, in the slot that has PCIe 3.0 x4

ewewgew.png

but in this slot, i have seen that it has a thermal pad and heatsink on the top and not on the bottom

since in the other slots of PCIe 4.0 x4, if you have thermal pad and heatsink in the front and back

I would like to know if there is any way to include a thermal pad on the back of the PCIe 3.0 x4 ssd slot.

I have looked at the Amazon store, some products, but at the moment I don't know if there is any base? Where can that missing backside be dispelled in that slot?

Darren

Staff member
This is purely speculation but I would guess that the upper one has a heat shield because that is where your GPU would go. The lower one in the vast majority of setups wouldn't have a big GPU dumping heat right on top of it so it likely isn't even necessary to have one.

Edit: Actually looked up the motherboard and that's just how it is. You probably don't need it anyway, and it looks like there's a metal plate on the overall heatshield that goes on the motherboard that would probably dissipate heat as well.

1668765088409.png

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Is the back flat or do you actually have components on it?

I've seem some aftermarket heatsinks with a back pad but there's no surface components back there. The front side should be able to wick out the heat. 3.0 ones don't get as toasty and many of them don't require heatsinks anyway.

Ayudin

Not flat underneath, this motherboard has internal components with chips and channels on the sides. I was thinking about putting those thin heatsinks from the Amazon store but it seems like it would make contacts and conflicts since it has chips underneath that could damage it.