how to fix?

marr02

can I fix my CD-RW? It won't read most of my CD's and often hard to eject

Last edited:

JTM

By purchasing a CD/DVD lens cleaning kit as JTM suggested. These are usually some sort of disk with a fine brush on them that you put into the drive and run for a little bit.

Yeah you can purchase them at most media outlets like Best Buy, FYE, and I've even seen them at CVS I think.

JTM

How about the CD ROM won't open? How can I fix It

If the drive is stuck or jammed you can manually eject it by putting a pin or small object into the small pinhole on the drive cover (front). Push the pin into the hole and the drive tray will manually eject.

JTM

Bodaggit23

That's true, never thought of it that way. But then you have to take in consideration the duration or waiting period until you get that drive. A couple days max, but you never know.
Good point, but how long has the OP been dealing with a faulty drive already?
Could have been here already. :D

Zatharus

VIP Member
yup there's a grinding sound but it won't open.

It sounds like the drive itself is damaged then. Most likely a broken or stripped gear internally.

As others have suggested, you would be better off just getting a new drive. They are inexpensive.

JTM

At this stage you can either take the drive apart or simply buy a new one. If it was me I would tinker with it and try to fix it, but do so at your own risk.

StrangleHold

Staff member