How to get a web site...

georgi0u

Hey guys,

Dont newb flame this message just for the title. Im a semi-rookie web designer (little html and mostly frontpage ((javascript is being learned now))) and ive just been making fake sites (no hosting) or paying a reseller for access onto his server. Is there n e way i could use my rig here at home as a server for a site? For example, could i host a .com website simple off of my personal pc assuming that i didnt care that the site would go down when i shut down my comp? Please help

-georgi0u

flame1117

banned
He wants to know if he can use his set-up as a server and host a domain on it.

How much space do you neeD? I can prabally host you for free, on either a subdomain, or a real domain for 10$'s a year(thats what it costs me) php and all that stuff suports everything and i can give you more space and bandwith then any free spaces i know of....

(No, I don't have a hosting ocmpany, I just pay for a host that gives me plenty of extra space)

flame1117

banned
how much space do you need...

Also as far as i know if you plan on having downloads then it will be slow if there is alot fof peoplea t once.

Travo925

georgi0u said:
in other words if anyone wants to help me understand it id be very welcom

where are you having trouble, I would be more then happy to help...PM me...or if you have aim, my screenname is travo925

Platinum

Also, check if your ISP allows it. I'm from Long Island (travo, where LI you from?) and my host, Optimum Online doesn't allow me to host a server. Even though they don't allow me, I used to, but you can have your service taken away. It depends on how much bandwidth you'll be using, if it gets a lot of hits, then you may want to think about using a free service, brinkster, angelfire, etc. If it's just for file sharing, and small websites with few visitors, than you should be fine. Just check into the legal aspects of it with your ISP so you don't get screwed over.

Travo925

Platinum said:
Also, check if your ISP allows it. I'm from Long Island (travo, where LI you from?) and my host, Optimum Online doesn't allow me to host a server. Even though they don't allow me, I used to, but you can have your service taken away. It depends on how much bandwidth you'll be using, if it gets a lot of hits, then you may want to think about using a free service, brinkster, angelfire, etc. If it's just for file sharing, and small websites with few visitors, than you should be fine. Just check into the legal aspects of it with your ISP so you don't get screwed over.

Suffolk...you?...

I have optonline too, but i can still run my own site :rolleyes: , the only difficulty I ran into, and which most people may, depending on their ISP's, is that Port 80 is blocked through them. So, I just changed the port ;)

georgi0u

Im from long island too!! Nassau though, Baldwin to be specific. My main problem is that im lost as far as this goes. All the terminoligy is new to me and etc. N e way, i consider myself literate, so i took a stab at trying to learn it as i went. I downloaded apache, but theres no setup file or anything so i basically got lost after there.

Travo925

georgi0u said:
Im from long island too!! Nassau though, Baldwin to be specific. My main problem is that im lost as far as this goes. All the terminoligy is new to me and etc. N e way, i consider myself literate, so i took a stab at trying to learn it as i went. I downloaded apache, but theres no setup file or anything so i basically got lost after there.

Ah...you see, you downloaded the wrong one...either you downloaded the Linux version, or the non-msi installer one...try again, but download the one that says Win32 binary-MSI installer.....go http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi .....simple, it downloads as a normal setup file...after you do that tell us....

Also, didn't even know there were people here from LI ;)

georgi0u

yea im downloading the correct version as we speak. Anyway, where in sulffok are you? Im out in riverhead | southold all the time. And i go to babalon for paintball all the time 2...

georgi0u

ok, apache is installed, and from what i can see is running but i still dont see how to use this to host a web page... more help please and thanks again guys :))))

MODS FEEL FREE TO DELETE THIS IF FOUND IN APROPRIATE
holy crap dude, small world...i was reading your profile and i see your into paintball. i'll put this in here while i wait jsut for fun (no one else pay attention to it)

100_0541.jpg

100_0549.jpg

Last edited:

Travo925

PM'd you dude about the paintball......

But anyway, glad ya got Apache working, if you ever have any questions with it, catch me on AIM...

flame1117

banned
DarrenL said:
You can get some good deals on web hosting from World Web Us see the site www.worldwebus.com And If you sign up please enter the code darren1 in sign up.

First off, you can find cheaper deals then that pretty easy, not that great.

Secend, I HATE SPAMMERS and i wonder what thet means about you :)

Disk Space 100
Bandwidth 2 GB
MySQL Databases 10
Email Accounts 25
SubDomains 5 S
Parked/Addon Domains 1

mmm i get, 250MB's for space, 20GIGS of bandwith, unlimited MYSQL, UNLIMITED email, UNLIMITED sub domains, and domains with full Cpanal X(10) with a huge script library, and guess how much i pay, 3.75 not your 4.99.

Actully now i over doubles that plan for less then double the price.

Last edited:

mikejr

flame1117 said:
mmm i get, 250MB's for space, 20GIGS of bandwith, unlimited MYSQL, UNLIMITED email, UNLIMITED sub domains, and domains with full Cpanal X(10) with a huge script library, and guess how much i pay, 3.75 not your 4.99.

Actully now i over doubles that plan for less then double the price.

You get what you pay for, period. There's no such thing as unlimited, flame1117 why don't you create about two or three MySQL db's and have them authenticate off one another? That won't last long. A Linux RH9 server with cPanel is about as generic as it gets... Most have hundreds of sites on them and become VERY saturated. The only reason it says unlimited in your cPanel is because your sysadmin hasn't taken the time to button it down properly - what's that say for the operation as a whole?

If you're paying less than $15/month for hosting - you're getting what you pay for, period. It costs money to keep competent people around to troubleshoot the issues that come up. What you have is a little slice of someone's reseller account, nothing more.