How to get a web site...

flame1117

banned
mikejr said:
You get what you pay for, period. There's no such thing as unlimited, flame1117 why don't you create about two or three MySQL db's and have them authenticate off one another? That won't last long. A Linux RH9 server with cPanel is about as generic as it gets... Most have hundreds of sites on them and become VERY saturated. The only reason it says unlimited in your cPanel is because your sysadmin hasn't taken the time to button it down properly - what's that say for the operation as a whole?

If you're paying less than $15/month for hosting - you're getting what you pay for, period. It costs money to keep competent people around to troubleshoot the issues that come up. What you have is a little slice of someone's reseller account, nothing more.

Im useing 16 MYSQL databases thank you very much. I am hosting many clan sites and most of them have forums and everything is fine as of now.

Lets get this back on topic, I just replyed to a spammer, which i asuume these (last ones, not the whole thread) will be deleted shorty.

mikejr

You can't unring the bell flame. If you read my post, and you knew a bit about SQL, you would have inferred that the reciprocal authentication would create an infinite loop - thus bringing the entire server to it's knees unless the sysadmin has set process limits. Either way cPanel would attempt a restart and the whole thing would repeat itsself until someone took notice.

Busy forums are the worst offenders of CPU usage, busy meaning 25000 users or more with about 5000 active users. I have several racks at Peak10, many of which contain garden variety cPanel servers used by dozens of hosting companies. Disk space and badwidth are cheap on the wholesale level - service is not. Like I said, you get what you pay for. I also have several racks here, the majority of which run various intranet and application server applications. I speak first hand and am always happy to call someone out when I read BS. And by the way, if you call the included scripts with cPanel and Fantastico (deluxe or otherwise) huge, you haven't been exposed to much.

flame1117

banned
mikejr said:
You can't unring the bell flame. If you read my post, and you knew a bit about SQL, you would have inferred that the reciprocal authentication would create an infinite loop - thus bringing the entire server to it's knees unless the sysadmin has set process limits. Either way cPanel would attempt a restart and the whole thing would repeat itsself until someone took notice.

Busy forums are the worst offenders of CPU usage, busy meaning 25000 users or more with about 5000 active users. I have several racks at Peak10, many of which contain garden variety cPanel servers used by dozens of hosting companies. Disk space and badwidth are cheap on the wholesale level - service is not. Like I said, you get what you pay for. I also have several racks here, the majority of which run various intranet and application server applications. I speak first hand and am always happy to call someone out when I read BS. And by the way, if you call the included scripts with cPanel and Fantastico (deluxe or otherwise) huge, you haven't been exposed to much.

More scripts can be added, and I can technecally have unlimied MYQSL data-batabases wether it works or not, What i said was TRUE, so how is it BS? I want to see a false statement in there.

Next repsone will be a PM too, just so I dont get banned for redrailing or anything..

tolkein

Not unless you have a fixed IP address. If you're on ADSL then you don't and even if you did, your ISP will probably shut you down. You can get cheap hosting nowdays for as low as $30 a year.

I have 3 websites (see my sig) on 1 hosting account for only $59 a year!

georgi0u said:
Hey guys,

Dont newb flame this message just for the title. Im a semi-rookie web designer (little html and mostly frontpage ((javascript is being learned now))) and ive just been making fake sites (no hosting) or paying a reseller for access onto his server. Is there n e way i could use my rig here at home as a server for a site? For example, could i host a .com website simple off of my personal pc assuming that i didnt care that the site would go down when i shut down my comp? Please help

-georgi0u