How to get data from my hard drive ?

djustis

Hello everyone. My HP desktop suddenly died (motherboard) and I want to get the data from the Seagate Barracuda 250 GB drive. Meanwhile I got a another HP desktop and now I want to transfer the data from the Seagate to my new desktop. But how do I fix this issue ? Thank you for any advice.

djustis

Thank you for your advice ! One thing, for which or what sata data and power cable do I have looking for,do I have to buy?

djustis

Thanks ! When I removed the cover from my 'new'desktop I see that it has the same cable with connector as the one on Amazon. And that cable in my new desktop is only connected to the motherboard and the end of that cable with connector is hanging in the air, so to speak. So far so good. But the old Seagate has also a big connectorpoint . Doesn't that needing being connected to something else ? Or will the extra cable be the only one connecting to the Seagate ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The big connector on the seagate is the SATA power connection. You should have an extra sata power connector from the power supply in the new computer, they usually have 1 or 2 extra.

djustis

Looks like there is no extra SATA power connector in the new desktop. However, the old desktop sata power cable has 3 connectors instead 2 in the new desktop. Can I swap the cable ? Btw, in the new one , 1 connector is going to the dvd rewriter and the other connector is going to the SSD driver.No connector left also.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Looks like there is no extra SATA power connector in the new desktop. However, the old desktop sata power cable has 3 connectors instead 2 in the new desktop. Can I swap the cable ? Btw, in the new one , 1 connector is going to the dvd rewriter and the other connector is going to the SSD driver.No connector left also.
You can just unplug your DVD drive while you copy data over.

djustis

I am still in trouble with this matter. After connecting the powercableconnector to the Seagate and also the small connector of the flat extra serial ATA cable to the Seagate I am trying for some time already in tracing the Seagate drive on my new desktopscreen but no way. The Seagate is running but what steps do I have to take next in order to read the Seagate ? Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I am still in trouble with this matter. After connecting the powercableconnector to the Seagate and also the small connector of the flat extra serial ATA cable to the Seagate I am trying for some time already in tracing the Seagate drive on my new desktopscreen but no way. The Seagate is running but what steps do I have to take next in order to read the Seagate ? Thank you.
Windows should automatically see it and assign it a drive letter in file explorer.

If it does not, go into disk management, right click the partition, and select "Change drive letter and paths", click Add, and choose a drive letter.

djustis

Thanks. After some time I came up to this step but what's next ? Please walk me through this unknown digit world to me.

Attachments

• Schermopname (24).png
    Schermopname (24).png
    90.7 KB · Views: 5

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to that screenshot, the old hard drive isn't attached. The only drive it sees is a 250 gb.

djustis

I took 2 pictures of the new desktop inside. The 'amazon' connector is to be seen connected to the Seagate and its flat cable is the first one on the motherboard (without text on it) The connection to the motherboard was as it is now. Btw. as I lifted de dvd rewriter last night I did see the hidden extra powerconnector,hidden in the dark... Are the connector(s) connected well ? I can feel the Seagate is running.

Last edited:

djustis

I do my outmost but the second pic decided to be 'zipped'

Attachments

• computerfoto 1-min.jpg
    computerfoto 1-min.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
  • compressjpeg.zip
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 1

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try this. Go into device manager and expand the disk drives section and tell me what drives it lists in there or show a screenshot of it.

djustis

This is the list behind 'device manager'. It is Dutch...But I hope you can understand what it means.

Attachments

• Schermopname (32).png
    Schermopname (32).png
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Schermopname (31).png
    Schermopname (31).png
    139.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Schermopname (30).png
    Schermopname (30).png
    142.3 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It only detects the SSD drive not the seagate. If you can feel the seagate drive spinning then its the data connection that is the problem. Either the sata cable isn't attached properly to drive or motherboard or its possible its been disabled in the bios. You may need someone knowledgeable in pc's to help you at home since this requires hands on diagnosing. And if you aren't familiar with the bios options, don't tempt to change anything.

djustis

I am not familiar with bios anyway so I shall try to look for some one nearby. Thank you for your assistance and advice.

djustis

It only detects the SSD drive not the seagate. If you can feel the seagate drive spinning then its the data connection that is the problem. Either the sata cable isn't attached properly to drive or motherboard or its possible its been disabled in the bios. You may need someone knowledgeable in pc's to help you at home since this requires hands on diagnosing. And if you aren't familiar with the bios options, don't tempt to change anything.
Meanwhile I bought an external housing for the old hhd disk and connected it usb to the new desktop. On one screenprint there is some data showing from D but another one is showing the disk ( the same D)seems to be empty now but before the issue started the disk was loaded with data. Is it possible yet to get back the data from the disk ? Thank you for your response.

Attachments

• Schermopname (53).png
    Schermopname (53).png
    103.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Schermopname (52).png
    Schermopname (52).png
    106.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Schermopname (51).png
    Schermopname (51).png
    130 KB · Views: 5