How to get my computer dual boot with Unbuntu and XP? xx

Feuerfrei.x

Hey all :)

Right - ive decided im sick to death of Windows and XP and have decided to put Unbuntu onto my system. but i need to install it so that XP will stay on my computer and i can dual-boot because i may be sick of it but i need to still use it for certain tasks and programmes like Microsoft Visual Studio and some c# programming (dont ask me why i learnt c# for programming instead of a more universal language cuz the truth is... i dont have a f***ing clue :p)

so --

my queiry is - can someone provide me with the exact instutions on how to install Ubuntu on here without disturbing XP because i dont wanna risk it and just guess the options becuase ive installed Unbuntu onto another system before at school and i didnt really know what i was doing so i went on random options and had to reinstall Win7 about 4 times and try again with Unbuntu cuz i got the options wrong teh first 4 times of trying intill i got the right options, but i cant remember which option thingy i went with and i dont wanna risk installing it and guessing the options incase i do lose my Windows OS :/

so plz plz plz someone can u talk me through it???

Thanks

Holly xx

salvage-this

Ok there are two ways to do this.

**before you do anything check how much free space you have to install Ubuntu on your computer. If you want to shrink your partition of Windows to make free space that will be nice later on!

1. Easier but not my prefered method. More for trying Ubuntu

Use the Wubi Installer to install Ubuntu as a program in Windows. This will create a dual boot for you and if you want to get rid of Ubuntu you can just unistall it from programs and features in Windows. (Ubuntu first, then Wubi) It is not hard to install Just follow the instructions that Wubi gives you.

2. A bit harder but a better experience if you plan on using Ubuntu full time.

Download the Ubuntu ISO from www.Ubuntu.com or releases.ubuntu.com I would recommend downloading the 10.04 version since it is the latest LTS(long term release) so it will be kept well updated for another year and a half I think. :confused: If you want the 32 bit version get the version called ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso if you want 64 bit get the one labeled ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso Don't get confused with the Alternate install versions they are for server/RAID installations.

Ok once you have the ISO burn the image (not as data files, the actual image) to a CD. Insert the CD into your computer and reboot **Make sure that you have boot priority set to CD-ROM in your bios.

This will take you to a Ubuntu splash screen (purple-ish loading screen) while it loads the full os off the cd. This will bring you to a screen that gives you a few options for Instillation, Try Ubuntu will just boot off the cd and you can play around but it will not change anything to your system. The option that you want it Install. This should bring you to a few screens that are just general options like keyboard layout time, zones, language, etc... Once through those it should give you three options

1. Erase and use the entire disk (NO!)
2. Install side by side (dual boot probably what you want)
3. Specify partitions manually (dual boot more for advanced users.)

For a first time at Ubuntu, option 2 is your best (and easiest) option

Right now your hard drive should be completely formatted in NTFS (windows). Partition out a portion for Ubuntu. If it is a test to see if you like it something like 40gb is more than enough. That will still give you about 30gb for files/programs. In option 2, you just need to specify what space to put Ubuntu in and the installer takes care of the rest for you.

So if you want to take things a bit more into your own hands here is how to accomplish option 3:

**Be sure to have HDD space partitioned for Ubuntu before you boot the Live CD on this option! you do not want to destroy anything written in NTFS This will destroy windows!

Now that the warning is over... take the free space and partition out something over 8gb (I use 12gb for mine) for the Boot files the mount point that you use is "/" This will be a Primary partition, formatted in EXT4.

Next is the SWAP space. Take the amount of RAM installed on your computer and multiply it by 3 this will give you the gb of SWAP space in needed. This formatted as a logical partition as SWAP.

The last partition that you need is your home files (like documents, pictures...) this will be formatted just like the boot files (EXT4, Primary) but the mount point is /Home.

One last thing keep the GRUB instillation on the default values. Otherwise you will have to reinstall GRUB.

-----------------------
Ok well now you should (provided that I didn't forget anything) be able to hit install and get through the final menus (username, password...) let it install and once it reboots you should be good to go.

I hope I got everything. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.