how to install 2nd hard drive

stratford

planning on putting a 2nd h/d in my sysem am i correct in thinking i just need a ide cable with 2 connectors 1 for master 2nd for slave . when i attach the slave will i have to alter anything in bios or will it detcect that i have fitted the slave.also will i have to fomat as a master or a slave.thanks in advance

kof2000

put jumper on slave and you dont need another cable unless your slave slot on your first hardrive cable is occupied.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
put jumper on slave
What happens if slave is occupied? :p

More completely, make sure that, for any given cable with one device already present,
- If the other device is set to CS (Cable select) then set the new drive to Cable Select
- If the other device is set to Master/Slave then set the new drive to Slave/Master
:)

stratford

incompatable slave

when i fit the slave drive it says the slsve is incompatable does anyone know why this is.thanks in advance

packard bell
pentium 111 600mhz
256 ram
hercules 4000GT graphic
cd-rom/cdrw 4*4*32
intel 82801AA ac97 audio controller
mr2800 data/fax modem
20gig

advent7038 laptop
athlon 2500+
512 ram
ATI radeon 320m
pioneer dvd-rw-dvr-k12d
*86 family 6 model 10 o authentic AMD 1855mhz
60gig

SeAMoON

oh i have problem too for this... never had before with two seagates but having now with Maxtor(6.4)... master is First drive. ( Maxtor ) and as i saw seagate label diagram. it says for slave no jumper.. i removed jumper... and then connected ide with it but when i powered the computer it just starts and boots up with the first drive means Master! :S

Last edited: