How to install an H80i GT in a PS4?

Quinn O'Brien

I have a PS4 and I am into modding computers and such and I don't stray from a challenge. As the typical PS4 runs fairly hot, I would like to put the latest Corsair H80 in it. Now, I know that there are no proper mounting spots for the H80 in the PS4 and it all has to be improvised, however, I would really like some tips about what I might knowledge I might need to go about modding the PS4 and what tools I might need. I have seen this done a few times on some PS4 modding websites. Any help and directional steering here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that might help!

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Even if this was doable, where would you mount the rad? And with the small form factor of the PS4, where would the tubes go?

I'm sure anything is possible with heavy modifications or some fabricated rad mount, but I wager it would be a royal pain and doubtful it would even work.

Quinn O'Brien

Even if this was doable, where would you mount the rad? And with the small form factor of the PS4, where would the tubes go?

I'm sure anything is possible with heavy modifications or some fabricated rad mount, but I wager it would be a royal pain and doubtful it would even work.

Here is one of the installations that I've found. Very interesting to say the least. Seems like a fun project to watercool my Sony Toaster lol:

Quinn O'Brien

Fair enough, anything is potentially possible but, do you really want to turn your PS4 into an ugly monstrosity like that though???

Hell yeah! It's just fun man, I spring at every opportunity to learn and attempt things like that. It's blissful and, hey, I'd feel good knowing that my PS4 is running at 20 degrees C, that'd just be fun to know I suppose. I just want to know a few things of caution and advice before I drill into it.

spirit

Staff member
You answered your own question by posting that video showing you how that guy has mounted it. Is this even effective?

Reactions: C4C

Quinn O'Brien

You answered your own question by posting that video showing you how that guy has mounted it. Is this even effective?

Yeah, it is effective. The guy got his temps down to 18 C. And yeah, the video gives me a good idea of how it should look and mount, but I am more asking how I should mount the cooler on the CPU because the socket isn't the appropriate size. I'm contemplating if I should just drill into the board :/ lol that just doesn't seem legit to me. The video doesn't show how the inside works.

Laquer Head

Yeah, it is effective. The guy got his temps down to 18 C. And yeah, the video gives me a good idea of how it should look and mount, but I am more asking how I should mount the cooler on the CPU because the socket isn't the appropriate size. I'm contemplating if I should just drill into the board :/ lol that just doesn't seem legit to me. The video doesn't show how the inside works.

Your enthusiasm aside.. You understand there is a high probability you will render your PS4 an ugly, useless, paper weight?

But again... more power to ya.. not my PS4

Quinn O'Brien

Your enthusiasm aside.. You understand there is a high probability you will render your PS4 an ugly, useless, paper weight?

But again... more power to ya.. not my PS4

Ehh...I think it won't look too great but I'm only going to do it if it seems I can do it without bricking it. Doooon't worry, it won't be a useless paper weight! BUT if that's your opinion, it will be regardless be ugly (if I can figure it out) haha

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
If it were me I wouldn't risk drilling into the board just to mount this cooler. I'm not an expert at modding or anything like that but I know that generally you want your CPU cooler to be near to the CPU, so.... yup. ;) :D If he got his temperatures really low then he must have the cooler on the CPU else it would be running much, much hotter.

This is a crazy mod and unless your PS4 is running wildly hot I don't really see why else you'd do it other than for fun or for the sake of doing it, but if you have the money to buy an H80i GT for your PS4 and the time to mount it then I want your job because you clearly get paid fairly well and have a lot of time ( ;) ) and I wish you the best of luck! This would be an interesting one to see when it's done! :D

Quinn O'Brien

If it were me I wouldn't risk drilling into the board just to mount this cooler. I'm not an expert at modding or anything like that but I know that generally you want your CPU cooler to be near to the CPU, so.... yup. ;) :D If he got his temperatures really low then he must have the cooler on the CPU else it would be running much, much hotter.

This is a crazy mod and unless your PS4 is running wildly hot I don't really see why else you'd do it other than for fun or for the sake of doing it, but if you have the money to buy an H80i GT for your PS4 and the time to mount it then I want your job because you clearly get paid fairly well and have a lot of time ( ;) ) and I wish you the best of luck! This would be an interesting one to see when it's done! :D

Yeah, I know i need the cooler on the CPU or at least connected to it with conductive parts but I can't think of it...well...actually the cooler is pretty much a large sheet of metal...maybe I could cut out a square through the metal sheet that the cooling block of the H80i can go through and make direct contact with the CPU while I could possible mount the cooler to the metal sheet...we'll see. We'll see. I just want some awesome watercooling mod for it. It'd be cool to have run. And it natively has enough power to support it!

Quinn O'Brien

Here guys! I didn't install an H80 because I decided it'd be a waste of money but I did do some custom paint and cooling to my PS4. I figured some of you'd like to see. As for the cooling I used a dremel to cut a square out right above the native internal cooling fan and I used super adhesive Velcro to mount a 120mm case can to the case to give it a kick. As for the powering of it I spliced the power wires from the fan to a usb header and I have it plugged in so the fan starts and stop when the system is on/off respectively. Pictures are below. And currently I have a metal shield on the fan as well though it isn't shown in the picture I posted.

http://imgur.com/41A8kQy
http://imgur.com/c1qiGrI
http://imgur.com/RkMfQVp

If anyone is interested in how to do any of this or what products I used feel free to ask!