How to install an I/O shield

OldOneEye

Ok, this may be a stupid question to some. But I CANNOT figure out how to install the I/O shield for my new motherboard, the Asus Striker Extreme. What do I do with all of these metal prongs sticking out of the back?! I have tried and tried to find an orientation for them that allows them to fit to the motherboard, but to no avail. Please what do I do?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You just pop out the ones for you sound and the others you just bend them up enough so the ports will slide under them and in position

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Honestly, if something's in the way, I just break it off. Get some "snips" and clip them off, or bend the metal until it gives. About the only thing to be weary of is sharp edges. Most are held in by pressure around the edge as well as the ports themselves going through the holes. Under most circumstances, there's really no other metal needed to hold the shield in.

Cleric7x9

i think you might be installing it backwards. the little metal pins are supposed to fit over the ports on the motherboard, INSIDE the computer. if you say the prongs are sticking out the back, you have it in backwards.

OldOneEye

What i mean is that the prongs stick out of the back of the I/O shield, trying to install it they stick into the computer. Are they supposed to wrap around the USB ports and other ports? Or do they go inside them? They can't go anywhere else... except cut off.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
This is how i have it, you can see the prongs beside the ports bent back a little
DSCF2122cm.jpg

Cleric7x9

i think you are talking about the prongs that i circled in the pic below. if that is what you are talking about, they go over the I/O ports just like he has installed it in the pic.

edit: apparently my server is down at the moment, ill post the pic as soon as i figure out whats wrong. but you can still see in the pic the way he has the prongs over the I/O ports