How To Install An OS Off Of A Flash Drive

Jiniix

For installing Windows 7 via USB I've always used a tool I got on askvg.com. All you need is an ISO file or the actual DVD in your DVD-drive.
For Linux distributions you can download the tool on ubuntu.com, it supports pretty much all versions of Linux.

lucasbytegenius

For installing Windows 7 via USB I've always used a tool I got on askvg.com. All you need is an ISO file or the actual DVD in your DVD-drive.
For Linux distributions you can download the tool on ubuntu.com, it supports pretty much all versions of Linux.

I've linked to the official Microsoft tool in the original post, however of course you are free to use your own.
I really dislike Ubuntu's tool and it didn't work with other versions of Linux for some reason. It gave me a bunch of errors whenever I launched it and so it was a pain to use and the results weren't consistent.

In the future, please post feedback relevant to the guide, such as feedback or any problems you've encountered while following it. Thanks.

dstruct2k

I have a slightly different idea; I'm combining a set of tools into a single, bootable USB stick. I currently have Hiren's BootCD and Windows 7 32 and 64 bit installers together on one USB stick, both bootable using the Windows boot manager.

I have the Windows Boot Manager handing off to GRUB for Hiren's, but I can't seem to set up a second copy of GRUB to be able to get Ubuntu bootable off the Windows Boot Manager as well. I know I could probably swap to a single copy of GRUB that would handle all 3 choices, but I'm not very good with GRUB and can't figure out how to get the USB version of Ubuntu to boot at all.... It looks like it's using syslinux, and I'm not sure how to hand-off from GRUB/WindowsBoot to syslinux.

Anyone have any suggestions?

tl;dr: Trying to set up triple-boot USB stick, can't get 3rd part to boot, need help.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have a slightly different idea; I'm combining a set of tools into a single, bootable USB stick. I currently have Hiren's BootCD and Windows 7 32 and 64 bit installers together on one USB stick, both bootable using the Windows boot manager.

I have the Windows Boot Manager handing off to GRUB for Hiren's, but I can't seem to set up a second copy of GRUB to be able to get Ubuntu bootable off the Windows Boot Manager as well. I know I could probably swap to a single copy of GRUB that would handle all 3 choices, but I'm not very good with GRUB and can't figure out how to get the USB version of Ubuntu to boot at all.... It looks like it's using syslinux, and I'm not sure how to hand-off from GRUB/WindowsBoot to syslinux.

Anyone have any suggestions?

tl;dr: Trying to set up triple-boot USB stick, can't get 3rd part to boot, need help.

Try integrating the Yumi Multi-Installer. It can integrate multiple linux distros and other misc. tools onto one USB drive. Then do what you did to get the Windows installer back on the drive. I'm sure you could get the Windows boot manager to handle the main boot, then hand everything else over to Yumi.

lucasbytegenius

For Installation of windows through flash drive you need to make the drive boot-able and then plug in the flash drive and restart the computer. At the booting time to need to press the button for changing boot order. Set the priority of the flash drive as first and press enter. It will start booting and you can install the OS simply as from the DISC.

Basic summary of my guide, thanks I guess.

KasperL

Basic summary of my guide, thanks I guess.

I will be upgrading to an SSD very soon.

Are the steps the same for an SSD? How do I make sure that the OS will be installed on the SSD?

Hello everyone,

due to the recent release of the windows 8 consumer preview i made a video tutorial, how to install it from a usb drive.
Was about to open a new thread when i saw this one - so here's the tutorial!

Installing Windows 8 from a USB Stick / DVD - Tutorial

(sadly, the youtube-tags don't seem to work)

Did he actually advertise his own video on your thread?

PabloTeK

I will be upgrading to an SSD very soon.

Are the steps the same for an SSD? How do I make sure that the OS will be installed on the SSD?

The disk controller will show the SSD as a normal disk within your system, so just select that as the target for installation.