How to install Windows XP if formatted?

shanvhere

I got a free laptop, and he said it worked until he formatted the C drive from dos, and when I boot up and have the windows XP in drive and boot from CD first it goes straight to this picture
[/URL]

sxz8.jpg
[/URL]

I will refresh to respond to questions.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Boot to the Windows XP intall cd and you will need to delete existing partitions and then repartition and install.

HOWEVER, How much system ram is installed? What are the system specs. If this machine was designed for 98 then I doubt it will run XP.

shanvhere

Boot to the Windows XP intall cd and you will need to delete existing partitions and then repartition and install.

HOWEVER, How much system ram is installed? What are the system specs. If this machine was designed for 98 then I doubt it will run XP.

I think the hard drive had windows 98, but the computer is a latitude D600 and is designed for xp

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah just boot to the XP CD. From your first post it looks like its trying to boot to the harddrive. Change the boot order in the bios or look at the bottom of the screen when you first boot and see if it gives you a boot order key to press.

strollin

Have you issued the DIR command from that DOS prompt? It's possible that Win 98 is still on there. I guess it's a moot point since you wish to install XP. BTW, you will probably need to go to the Dell site to download drivers for various things (like the video chipset, ethernet port and wifi adapter).

According to the specs I found on this laptop, it came with 128MB of RAM and a 30GB hard drive but can have a max of 2GB RAM.