how to limit wireless useage?

Ku-sama

banned
is there any way i can cap the bandwidth on my wireless? my brothers girlfriend is CONSTANTLY downloading on Limewire... we JUST got cable hooked up yesterday, so i was looking at some serious gaming at 20 ping... which i had untill she booted her laptop and started downloading.. it shot up to 600+ and held there untill about 4:30AM when she finally went to sleep, then i could play for 15 minuets before i had to sleep... i want to cap her bandwidth so she can only use about 10% of the bandwidth... (3Mb down, 400Kb up)...

bigsaucybob

If I were you I would take a book and slam it over her head. It is not her internet.

You could try looking on Limewire, there might be an option to limit the number of downloads, or limit the amount of bandwith it uses.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
or secretly load the laptop with spyware and adware, then it'll be good for nothign and she will stop, lol, but i would read the first two posts for more helpful ideas...

dragon

Ku-sama

banned
well, i would, but then she would give my brother the option to either i leave or she does... she is an over posessive bitch who is over needy... trust me... dont ask questions... and.. i did limit her on limewire... but its still at 120 ping... but i want to slow her ENTIRE internet experiance...

cell4me

banned
WEP encript the router and then password protect it so nobody can get in there, that will stop all her downloading...lol! :D

Ku-sama

banned
i cant stop her from connecting to it... thats the thing, i need to LIMIT her useage or i get kicked out or jimmy loses his fiancee

cell4me

banned
i cant stop her from connecting to it... thats the thing, i need to LIMIT her useage or i get kicked out or jimmy loses his fiancee

Sure you can...encript the signal and then when she tries to connect say (I DONT KNOW WHY YOU LAPTOP DOES NOT WORK) and play stupid :D

Tell her she better go have that thing checked out...lol!

Ku-sama

banned
your not getting it, TECHNICALLY i CAN block her out with a 64 digit password, MAC address filtering, and other shit, but i cant block her, because no matter what, it would lead to me or her leaving the apartment, just stop suggesting i block her, and tell me how to limit her damnit, I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER I CANT BLOCK HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay? now, tell me how to LIMIT her usage

Ku-sama

banned
i know, and i did, but i still have 100 ping loss.... she serioustly downloads about 80 songs and movies a night with limewire and bittorrent

n00b9287

i know, and i did, but i still have 100 ping loss.... she serioustly downloads about 80 songs and movies a night with limewire and bittorrent

Hi, I have looked into this before and unless you pay around $50 then your stuck, there does not seem another way, there is no freeware apps that I know off this type of software is sold only, but many come with a free trial.

Besides a 100 less ping is worth $50 at least for me it is.

Either that or explain your problem and work out a solution between yourselves.

Ku-sama

banned
what about the Microsoft thing? the thing that in XP Pro is set to cap the internet by 20% that i think AMD posted before? what if i set that to 95% cap?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Does Limewire use router ports?

Simply block her connection port. She will stil be able to download, but at a really sad speed. Her "regular" internet usage should be just fine. Have her load a web page, presto it works fine. But her P2P program will crawl. This is what happens when you cannot port map with a P2P program, your downloading is pathetic most of the time.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
what about the Microsoft thing? the thing that in XP Pro is set to cap the internet by 20% that i think AMD posted before? what if i set that to 95% cap?

You can give it a shot, reserve about 90% of her bandwith for microsoft, it'll make her updates downoad really fast :rolleyes:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Does Limewire use router ports?

Simply block her connection port. She will stil be able to download, but at a really sad speed. Her "regular" internet usage should be just fine. Have her load a web page, presto it works fine. But her P2P program will crawl. This is what happens when you cannot port map with a P2P program, your downloading is pathetic most of the time.
nice idea 4W4K3, very nice idea....

dragon