How to maintain,secure,control XP to keep it working up for 2years without reinstall?

Rayen16

Hi,

I need to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. I would like to keep Windows running on my system without doing a reinstall or having problems for 2 years (stable and fast). I could only maintain the computer 1 time a month because I don't have the time to do it every day/week, my parents will be working on the computer every day (1 hour a day).

So I was wondering how I have to set up my system to keep it running without a reinstall for 2 years.

This is the list that I have made:

-Partitions
Maxtor 80 GB HDD,
C: NTFS 20 GB (WINDOWS)
D: NTFS 60 GB (DATA)

C: Windows and Program Files will be here. I have chosen for NTFS because it was made for the NT kernel, and it will give good system performance (I hope).
D: I will place the "My Documents" folder from C to D, so a system crash won't mess the Word Documents up. There will be DATA like zip,setupfiles,software,backups,information,.. on this partition.

Software:

Security
1. Mozilla Firefox (Build P4 + Tweaks) (Secure browser)
2. AntiVirus (=NOD32) (Prevent Viruses)
3. Zone Alarm (Firewall)
4. SpywareBlockList (BlockList)
- Maintain -
1. CrapCleaner (Reg-&TempClean)
2. HitMan Pro (Spyware remove)
3. Microsoft Spyware (Spyware Prevention)
- Drivers -
1. NVIDIA (Graphic Card)
2. Sound Blaster (Soundcard)
3. LiteOn (Monitor)
5. Intel Application Accelerator (Faster hardware communication)

Endusers
- Basic -
1. Microsoft Office 2003 (Word-Excel-PowerPoint)
2. MSN7 (MSN Chat)
3. WinRAR (Unrar/unzip/..)
4. Mozilla Thunderbird (Mail Checker)
- Usage: Sometimes -
1. LeechGET (Download Manager)
2. K-Lite Codec Pack (Codecs)
3. mIRC (IRC Chat Client)
4. Nero 6 (CD/DVD's burning)
5. Van Dale Woordenboek DU/NL/EN (Dictionary's)

- Usage: Not often -
1.Alcohol 120% (CD/DVD Emulation)
2.DreamWeaver PACK (Webdesign)
3. Acrobat Reader Pro (Open PDF Files)

-Auto Logon XP on GuestAccount
-Services.msc Safe Patch of BlackViper.COM
-Turn off Visual Effects
-Placing Swapfile on 512-512
-Clean up swapfile when shutting down
-Turn off Thumbs.db
-Turn off "Documents" history

Each month I will:
Update all software
Software: "Maintain"
Windows Defragment C and D
Do a Virusscan & Spyware scan
Make a backup of Windows and a backup of the most important files.

Do you guys have more suggestions to keep Windows clean & fast?
And also, do you think my system is able to work for 2 years without a reinstall? (P4T-E 2GHz, 512 MB RAM)

Thank you,

Rayen

Last edited:

BMR777

A couple hints:

1. Make sure all AV and Anti-Spyware auto updates. Also make sure Windows auto updates.

2. Make sure you schedule automated anti-spyware scans at least once a week. These can be run as long as the PC is on and someone is logged in. They do not have to be "using" the PC.

3. Give everyone a "Limited" acct for day-to-day use, and only use an Admin account for installing software. This way spyware can't install as easy.

4. Even though you are not using IE, put the security for internet zone on "High", or at least disable ActiveX downloads.

5. Do not keep the PC on for longer than 12 hours at a time. This causes lag.

6. Do not connect the PC to the net if it does not need to be connected. Also, buy a router with a firewall to prevent against hack attacks.

7. Set the PC to run Disk Defrag and Disk Cleanup at least once or twice a month.

8. Don't download potentially harmful software, such as P2P or potential adware.

Folow these steps and your PC should run good for a couple of years.

BMR777

speedyink

VIP Member
My computer hasnt had windows reinstalled once, and it stills runs like new and starts up in less than 10 seconds(from login), and Ive had it for about 2 years now. What have I been doing? I have Avast anti-virus, it automatically updates whenever a new update is available, and it tells you when its does it. Registry mechanic to clean the registry. The main thing I do is to not have many programs running in the background. Heres an actual list of what I have running on the taskbar: HP printer, Messenger, and avast. There are two more but they arent programs(sound icon and safetly remove hardware(printer) icon). The trick is dont bloat your computer with crap. Clean the registry at least once a month, and keep the antivirus software on all the time. Do a spyware/adware scan periodically (I use adaware). Its not hard to keep a computer running for more than 2 years, just dont bloat it with crap.

houssam_ballout

thi seems that it will protect ur PC from even any crash or any intruder, I also recommeded u to make backup for ur PC, it will help to re-get ur system settings, and configuration even if very harmful crash happens. Backup procedure must be made when the PC boots, I will try to give the link of the program that I use for backup ,and it realy helps me a lot.

jbrown456

If you want some power in accounts, but don't want to give admin accounts, just
make people powers users!.
also, remember to backup ALL data!