How To Make you computer faster

Majin

Great post! I knew some of those, but will have to try the numproc and some of the others when I get to my pc. Just built it so want to keep it in top condition! Thanks again for the good info!

2048Megabytes

AWildGoose, you may want to use the following I composed. It may help a Windows Operating System to run a little more smooth.

The following can possibly give your system a small boost in speed. Do the following: Start -> Control Panel -> System. Go to the Advanced Tab ("Advanced system settings" in Vista) and click Settings (In Windows Vista click the Settings tab under Performance). Click the Advanced tab. Under “Virtual memory” click “Change...” Change the "Initial size" and "Maximum size" to the same number. It can slow a system down if the operating system changes the virtual memory size. What number should be entered for virtual memory? I would recommend around 1024 because some programs require virtual memory to operate properly.

Ccleaner is very good as well.

I agree that the free CCleaner is an excellent tool. I does automatically what would take much longer to do manually (clean up temporary files, log files, old patch uninstalls, etc. from system and common software).

For scanning scumware, try the free MalwareBytes Antimalware.

Trio

A few questions about msconfig:

I just uninstalled lightscribe a while ago, but it still appears on the list of start-up programs. Is this a registry related problem?

Nero, Lightscribe, and Google (I have no idea, something my sister downloaded) are on the started up file list. I should obviously remove these, right?

Anyone have something called registry monitor on the start up list? I have no idea what this is, and it's by a manufacturer called PixArt Imaging Corporation.
**I did a google search. Apparently it's a webcam driver, and I do have a webcam installed. Well, I don't NEED it to start up with Vista (unless it has to?). Would you recommend removing it from the start up list?

Why would these program 'want' to start up along with the computer? Would they start up otherwise? What are the effects of removing anything from the start up program list?

Wouldn't the alternative to using msconfig be going into the task bar and finding the files there?

And also, I did a search on Numproc, and I got this result. I don't know the meaning behid it (need to do more thorough research).

http://www.firewall.cx/ftopic-5470-0-days0-orderasc-.html

It says that the threads are also counted as processors? (4cores*4processors= 16 cores)

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

A few questions about msconfig:

I just uninstalled lightscribe a while ago, but it still appears on the list of start-up programs. Is this a registry related problem?

Nero, Lightscribe, and Google (I have no idea, something my sister downloaded) are on the started up file list. I should obviously remove these, right?

Anyone have something called registry monitor on the start up list? I have no idea what this is, and it's by a manufacturer called PixArt Imaging Corporation.
**I did a google search. Apparently it's a webcam driver, and I do have a webcam installed. Well, I don't NEED it to start up with Vista (unless it has to?). Would you recommend removing it from the start up list?

It is ridiculous that most software (once it is installed) is programmed to start up when ever Windows boots up. I think the reason software manufacturers do this is to attempt to sell you their products in the future. Most programs do not need to start up once Windows boots up. It certainly makes your start up time a lot slower if you allow everything to start when Windows starts. In my opinion a Webcam Driver does not need to start when Windows boots up.

Trio

It is ridiculous that most software (once it is installed) is programmed to start up when ever Windows boots up. I think the reason software manufacturers do this is to attempt to sell you their products in the future. Most programs do not need to start up once Windows boots up. It certainly makes your start up time a lot slower if you allow everything to start when Windows starts. In my opinion a Webcam Driver does not need to start when Windows boots up.
I understand, but I think there's also another reason behind it.

I figured removing things from starting up along with windows wouldn't prevent it from starting up afterwards, but when I plugged in my headphones to bring up the realtek manager, nothing would appear. The same with my webcam, it wouldn't appear when I pressed the button to turn it on, even after unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Well anyway, I did notice a small increase in speed when Vista was booting up. I'm going to do some research on that Numproc before I try it out. I think I might need to clean my register too, since Lightscribe is still appearing in the start up program list.

**Did some search on /NUMPROC, and I'm getting some sites saying it's a hoax, argueing that /NUMPROC is used to troubleshoot- to check whether a processor is dead or not. Microsoft also supports this idea:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=645389
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833721

"/numproc=number
This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs."

Why would someone want to "force" the OS to use a specific amount of cores, and why wouldn't the total amount be set to default? How can individual cores be checked? Those are some questions I have regarding /NUMPROC

***Here's more information I found. Apparently this person was testing a quad-core, and after setting the /NUMPROC is msconfig to '2', only 2 cores were visible until he changed it

"Maybe some of you know that setting. MS documentation briefly says it defines "The number of processors to be used". There are people who claim that this setting is used to tell windows how many CPUs to use during booting (if unset, it uses only one) - and this is said to boost performance, look at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/153125-boot-advanced-options-number-processors.html, which shows a quite remarkable effect, reboot time decreased from 121 to 87 seconds on that tuner's system.

So I thought, why not try it but it had no effect at my quadcore test system (boot time did not change at all).

So is this setting effective at all? I found out, that if I set it to "2" and reboot, just two cores of my quad are visible until I reset it. So it is effective somehow, but does windows really care while booting?
Most tuners don't know what they are talking about in my opinion."

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_Vista/Q_23944938.html

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Why would someone want to "force" the operating system to use a specific amount of cores, and why wouldn't the total amount be set to default?

Forcing an operating system to use multiple cores will likely reduce your start up times by a few seconds.
Ask Microsoft why they didn't set this to default. You've got me on this question.

How can individual cores be checked?
This is a good question. Let me do some research and get back to you on this.

Trio

Trio, one good program to test the cores of a processor is the program called Prime95.

It can be downloaded here:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

If you have any questions on how to use Prime95 just ask.
Thanks, lol, but I wasn't really interested in software to test my cores. I just thought it wasn't logical for Microsoft to test cores with /NUMPROC is bunches. Like 1st core, then the 1st and 2nd core, then 1st and 2nd and 3rd core, and so on.

When I tried using the /NUMPROC on XP, the table next to the button was empty. Once I pressed it, a 1 appeared. Maybe it's because the default is set to all cores? However, I just tried it with Vista, and a 1 was in the table already. I haven't tried setting /NUMPROC, so I'm not certain about it...

Dystopia

i like it, but what is it with disk defragging? EVERY time anyone in my house has done it, something got messed up! either the computer crashed and was fubar, or the games took FOREVER to load. which is why we never defrag. maybe we dont need to, seeing as last year i probably reinstall windows like a gazillion times...

but in the end, just give the guide better readability,, and it'll be great!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also in msconfig go to BOOT.INI and click on Advanced Options...
Check /NUMPROC= and type in how many processors you have (if more than one)
Windows default is to use one core.
Added 17.04.09 (DD.MM.YY).
Keep in advanced option and check /MAXMEM and type your memory/RAM. I have found out that Microsoft made it so your OS uses the minimum RAM needed, so having the maximum amount of RAM on startup also makes a difference. By the way it's in megabytes so 1G is 1024mb, 2G is 2048 etc.

Didnt know about that one,Thanks :good: :) :good: