How to move bootloader from one partition to another?

ultimate7

Works great! now do you think I should spend time on extending the volume because windows can't do it and changing the drive letter to c: or it is more simple to reinstall windows 7 completely?

if i should extend the volume and change the drive letter is there an easy way to do these things?

Thanks

canivari

Works great! now do you think I should spend time on extending the volume because windows can't do it and changing the drive letter to c: or it is more simple to reinstall windows 7 completely?

if i should extend the volume and change the drive letter is there an easy way to do these things?

Thanks

Thats good news!!
I believe that windows can extend the the partition it self.
First you need to convert your disk to became an Dynamic disk.
To do that in Disk Management console right click in the smal square (where is saying "Disk 0 Basic XXXXGB online" and choose in one of the options when you right click it that says "Convert to Dynamic Disk".
After that done, now you can click on the free space and mout it in an empty folder inside of the D drive (for example create an empty folder on your desktop and point the free space to there and any time you need to
need space to store stuff just save it there because all the unalocated space is on that folder now).
Hope that helps

Last edited:

ultimate7

what will the dynamic disk will do?

I heard that you can only extend a volume when it is at left. Mine is at right and the extend volume is gray.

Beside is unallocated space.

Thank you :D

canivari

what will the dynamic disk will do?

I heard that you can only extend a volume when it is at left. Mine is at right and the extend volume is gray.

Beside is unallocated space.

Thank you :D

Well, the Dynamic Disk conversion will let you extend partitions in this case you c: drive becoming an extended partition of your D: drive.
Doesnt matter in this case if you want to extend a volume when it is at left or right, just after you convert the the Disk to be an dynamic, take the unalocatted free space and mount it as free space in an empty folder and that its it.
You see, converting disks to become dynamic disks gives the oportunity
to extend partitions (even with other disks) and mount them as an folder inside of the OS partition.

canivari

i forgot to tell you that your unalocatted space need to become an new volume and after becoming an new volume it needs to be an partition (need to use NTFS when choosing the type of formatting) and after that choosed, you will see an option to mount the new partition as an NTFS empty folder and you need to choose that one and tel him in wich folder want to mount that (in this case is the empty folder that you gonna create for example i your desktop) and point it to there.
Thats it.
Why mount empty spaces in NTFS Empty folders? this option wasa buiol;t for servers, any time that an company need more space in
theyre servers shared folders, just add more disks and mount them there.Or else that add to stop the entire company, take old disks out put bigger ones,formatt the disks with OSs, install Active directories, assign policies to the entire company, Share permitions in each folder along with NTFS permissions, printers etc..(i think you got the point) it was too much time spender...
in your case, its better to use this because if gonna change the driver letter from D:\Program Files to C:\Program Files almost all your installed programs gonna have problems since they are registered (in registry) to boot from an D:\ drive and not from an C:\ drive!
So that is not a very good option for you at the moment.
But if this idea to mount he free unalocatted space left from XP is a litlle weird for you, you can always get an third party program to "join partitions" so you can merge the D: drive and the unalocatedd space left from XP like this tool that is free:

http://www.softsea.com/download/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition.html

but remember, to do that, first you still need to update the disk to became an Dynamic disk too like the other option i gave you.

Last edited:

ultimate7

i forgot to tell you that your unalocatted space need to become an new volume and after becoming an new volume it needs to be an partition (need to use NTFS when choosing the type of formatting) and after that choosed, you will see an option to mount the new partition as an NTFS empty folder and you need to choose that one and tel him in wich folder want to mount that (in this case is the empty folder that you gonna create for example i your desktop) and point it to there.
Thats it.
Why mount empty spaces in NTFS Empty folders? this option wasa buiol;t for servers, any time that an company need more space in
theyre servers shared folders, just add more disks and mount them there.Or else that add to stop the entire company, take old disks out put bigger ones,formatt the disks with OSs, install Active directories, assign policies to the entire company, Share permitions in each folder along with NTFS permissions, printers etc..(i think you got the point) it was too much time spender...
in your case, its better to use this because if gonna change the driver letter from D:\Program Files to C:\Program Files almost all your installed programs gonna have problems since they are registered (in registry) to boot from an D:\ drive and not from an C:\ drive!
So that is not a very good option for you at the moment.
But if this idea to mount he free unalocatted space left from XP is a litlle weird for you, you can always get an third party program to "join partitions" so you can merge the D: drive and the unalocatedd space left from XP like this tool that is free:

http://www.softsea.com/download/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition.html

but remember, to do that, first you still need to update the disk to became an Dynamic disk too like the other option i gave you.
I'm gonna try that because I will probably change my computer in 2-3 weeks with new hard drive and core i5 or i7 mobile. It would be a big waste of time changing d to c since i will get a new computer soon.

Thank you very much i'm gonna make my d partition dinamyc, create a new c partition and mount it at the root of the disk d if it's possible or else on a folder on my desktop.

please note that i saw your guide on how to use maximum ram on windows 7 and the when i clicked on the download link it says closed....

canivari

I'm gonna try that because I will probably change my computer in 2-3 weeks with new hard drive and core i5 or i7 mobile. It would be a big waste of time changing d to c since i will get a new computer soon.

Thank you very much i'm gonna make my d partition dinamyc, create a new c partition and mount it at the root of the disk d if it's possible or else on a folder on my desktop.

please note that i saw your guide on how to use maximum ram on windows 7 and the when i clicked on the download link it says closed....

Try this one then..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C42PDDT6

Hope that helps
If you need any help it this one just let me know..
inside of the zip file (after you extract him) you have an executable
and that executable is an Self extractable exe so than contains 2 files
((c)Staforce-4GB.exe and 02.Watermark.exe) the (c)Staforce-4GB.exe its to actually patch your kernel so he can work with more tan 4GB of RAm (this not a fake thing ok? i have been working daily with my server with 8GB of RAM and he uses all the physicall RAm available as you can see here:

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/canivari/Untitled.png

The 02.Watermark.exe file is just to take the watermarke of windows (like the beta version that usually have something on the right bottom hand side of the desktop,so if your Windows 7 version doesnt have that you dont need this 02.Watermark.exe to run.
The (c)Staforce-4GB.exe is actually in Russion (were the Staforce that patched Win7 and click in the only button there and then reboot your computer.
After you reboot, you will see that you got two options of boot (one saying something of 128GB of RAm and the other on is your normall boot.
I would like to advice you that if you got any kind of problem during the load of the patched kernel you always can boot from the other normal boot (so no riscs involved).
If you check that everything is smothly with your computer and you are
happy (like me) with the new patchedkernel so you can just say to windows to load jut the 128GB option without asking wich one you whant.
To do that just right click my computer
Advanced systems protection
Under Startup and recovery click on settings
unchecj the option that says
"time to display list of operating systems:"
and make sure the one is choosed is the "Microsoft Windows (version 6.1.7600) >128 GB Memory

Hope that helps

Last edited:

canivari

Last edited:

ultimate7

canivari

yes it is now i just want to get rid of the 128 gb of ram thing that i can boot on

ok, in that case boot in normal boot and press:
Start
Run
msconfig
hit enter
Boot tab
click once in the 128GB one and hit delete
apply
ok
close the msconfig
reboot the computer

canivari

Thanks I will do that.

I think it didn't work because the motherboard can't support more than 2gb ( 3gb installed)

Of course not..
If your Motheroard only can take up to 2GB of RAM the computer
probably even boot with 3GB instaled..
Thats an motherboard BIOS Problem..
Why didnt you told me what you were trying to do in the first time?
What make and model is your board?

Last edited:

ultimate7

I was just looking if there was a way to do that (when i will get a better computer)
Now in my case is there a way to make the bios or motherboard support more than 2 gb?
If yes how to find the motherboard manufacturer and model?

Yes i know i never really look for my motherboard info.
Thank you