How to prevent computer from being hacked?

manuokcz

Keep system up to date?
protect with Antivirus software?

One of my friends computer was hacked and he has no access to it any more. It shocked me as he is a guy who knows computer pretty much.

_Pete_

You cannot. Basically the hackers, spammers, viri writers etc are way way ahead of you, me, government bodies, banks, and the, so called, antivirus writers. Look at this way. Anti virus, anti hack, anti scam protection cannot be written until the current virus, hack, scam goes live. Yes they can use heuristics but thats like using a crystal ball. If they want to get into your computer, or anyone elses, they will.

manuokcz

You cannot. Basically the hackers, spammers, viri writers etc are way way ahead of you, me, government bodies, banks, and the, so called, antivirus writers. Look at this way. Anti virus, anti hack, anti scam protection cannot be written until the current virus, hack, scam goes live. Yes they can use heuristics but thats like using a crystal ball. If they want to get into your computer, or anyone elses, they will.

this is too sad to hear this

Agent Smith

If you're like me and read how they hack things from various sites and Twitter pages, you'll be able to stay a step ahead of the game. You need to learn how they do it to learn how to prevent it. Make sense?

Run Sandboxie for your browser. Scan all downloads at virus total. Never trust downloads from the Pirate Bay or other shady places. Keep your router firmware updated and even better, get a router that supports a third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Asus Merlin, etc. In fact, the FBI right now is saying many routers have been infected by a Russian hacker group and they advise you to power cycle your modem/router. I doubt that will solve the issue, but there you have it. Turn off UPnP and don't allow remote administration in your router. Finally, check out this forum for some useful Info. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

If you're really paranoid, check out the OS Qubes.

_Pete_

If you're like me and read how they hack things from various sites and Twitter pages, you'll be able to stay a step ahead of the game. You need to learn how they do it to learn how to prevent it. Make sense?

Run Sandboxie for your browser. Scan all downloads at virus total. Never trust downloads from the Pirate Bay or other shady places. Keep your router firmware updated and even better, get a router that supports a third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Asus Merlin, etc. In fact, the FBI right now is saying many routers have been infected by a Russian hacker group and they advise you to power cycle your modem/router. I doubt that will solve the issue, but there you have it. Turn off UPnP and don't allow remote administration in your router. Finally, check out this forum for some useful Info. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

If you're really paranoid, check out the OS Qubes.

Even the FBI and other governments bodies are not safe. We have seen and are seeing that fact.

manuokcz

Should be careful with downloads and cracked staff. Mac computer would be more safe?

P.S if you computer was hacked, you can unlock it with this tool.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

Should be careful with downloads and cracked staff. Mac computer would be more safe?

More safe? Maybe. There's malware for Macs as well. Even Linux.

Even the FBI and other governments bodies are not safe. We have seen and are seeing that fact.

No doubt. Well, at least with the top echelon. Not so much the rank and file. There's even FBI agents calling out their previous boss. But that's a story for another day.